Location: Trafford, Greater Manchester
We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world's biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
What is the purpose of this role?
Amey Consulting are rapidly expanding and looking to recruit Civil Engineering Assistant Engineer to work at our Design Hub in Sheffield, supporting our ongoing and increasing workload for both public and private sector clients on a wide variety of development and Highway schemes. The Assistant Engineer depending on experience and career aspirations could sit in either the Civils/Highways/Traffic team or the Structures/Bridges team.
Current projects include:
- Delivery Integrated Partner (DIP) Framework for delivering major Highway Projects - M6 J1 improvements
- £500m Designers on Smart Motorway Projects - M1 corridor, M25, M42/M40
- Trans Pennine Route upgrade - civils design
- Bridge Inspections for Local Authority and Highways England schemes
- Staffordshire iPlus contract - Highways and Drainage support
- £30m New 5km trunk road in Manchester - Lead Designer and PM
- £5m roundabout reconfiguration for Area 13
- £4m Grey to Green Phase 2 for Sheffield City Council - Lead Designer and Supervision
- Highways England - Flooding hotspots and alleviation works for Areas 13 and 14
- Kings Cross drainage improvement works
- Trafford Structural Maintenance Programme
- Various developer lead improvements to Container Depots in the UK
What will this role involve?
Good career progression options for the selected candidate with opportunity for development of technical, commercial and project management skills.
Selected candidate will have chance to work on a significant and varied projects and play an active asset management role.
The ideal experience would be to assist:
- Engineers in developing designs and calculations on schemes
- Prepare and assist with drawing production
- Preparation of technical documentation and reports
- Project administration
- compliance to the relevant health, safety and environmental legislation, particularly the CDM Regulations
- Experience in use of AutoCAD and other technical software
- Sound understanding of Civil Engineering Design
- Work with the inspection and design teams to plan and programme inspection work
- Plan and carry out site visits, surveys and inspections
- Undertake a variety of inspection work on highway structures (including confined spaces/difficult access)
- Production and review of inspection reports in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with Amey procedures
- Undertake any work of a technical nature that falls within ability and competence, generally comprising design of maintenance interventions on steel, concrete or masonry highways structures, including production of drawings and specification
What are we looking for?
Our ideal candidate would have a Degree qualification to satisfy the current entry requirements for: CEng or IEng through ICE, CIHT or IStructE, or equivalent and 2 years proven related experience with a consultancy and be looking to become chartered with a professional institution.
It is considered that the candidate would require:
- Support and supervise junior or less experienced team members
- Liaise and help maintain good working relationships with clients, customers and members of other stakeholder groups, other staff in other Amey Divisions, suppliers and sub-contractors
- Experience of working with design teams
- Client focused approach to service delivery
- Technical competencies
- Report writing skills
- Ability to work and co-operate within a close-knit team environment
- Computer literate and thoroughly conversant with MS office suite and relevant engineering software packages
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What makes this role unique?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people's lives. It's what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You'll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.