This is some of the most important and challenging work in Government as it both protects and enhances the UK economy and if you are successful, you could be part of that
Manchester Airport is the 3rd largest airport in the UK after Heathrow and Gatwick and is currently undergoing a very large expansion programme.
Border Force North operates at Manchester Airport to fulfill Border Force National strategic objectives which are, to protect the UK Border and national interests, tackle Border tax fraud, smuggling and immigration crime and implement fast and fair decisions.
This is a flexible working post, the core hours are 10:00 - 15:00 Monday to Friday. The successful candidate is required to be included on a roster covering the hours 7am - 6pm. This is subject to change as per business needs.
Our goal is to continue to build high skilled teams where individuals could work in a variety of roles.
The Assistant Officer role can be physically demanding and will require a high level of flexibility and mobility to meet changing demands. In addition, you should be aware that these posts include:
- Working outside in sometimes adverse weather conditions
- Manual Handling
We are looking for staff who:
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and are flexible, adaptable and creative in solving problems and dealing with change
- Are flexible and able to successfully perform a range of multi-skilled duties
- Have a strong sense of personal ethics and honesty
- Enjoy dealing with colleagues and external stakeholders
- Are able to confidently manage potentially difficult and challenging situations
- Can demonstrate sound interpersonal, communication and relationship building skills and thrive working as part of a team
- Have IT skills
ResponsibilitiesAssistant Officer within the Command and Control Unit at a large airport includes:
- Corporate support- ensuring that operational supplies are delivered timeously and accurate stock records are maintained.
- Procurement- process of purchasing, receipt and delivery of orders, liaison with the procurement manager.
- Custodian of seized goods within the Queens warehouse facility including accurate recording and cross referencing of receipted goods. Includes disposal to central Queens warehousing. Accurate database recording is essential to this role. Attention to detail is imperative.
- Accommodation matters - to include escorting contractors and visitors, fault reporting and follow up, the work can be physically demanding at times.
- Postal services- to include collection and delivery of postal items, sometimes requiring urgent and immediate delivery i.e. in the case of passports for removals. Correctly maintaining the franking services and responsibility for ensuring the timely delivery of post and special delivery items to the post office.
- Assisting with the application process and delivery of Air-side security passes and staff car parking.
- Assisting the Fleet vehicle manager with the delivery and collection of vehicles to and from local garages, replenishing fuel within the fleet, operating the vehicle booking system.
- There are a range of ad hoc and infrequent duties that you will be required to carry out on the instruction of the CCU managers, in line with your grade.
Recruitment, Training and Onboarding - This is a very busy and fast paced working environment. Maintaining the correct staffing levels for the port and recruiting for that purpose. Booking training courses for new and existing staff. Monitoring very busy inboxes and liaising with trainers both locally and regionally.
- Arranging interviews, collation of ID documentation, keeping accurate records and updating trackers.
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality around interview outcomes and candidate information at all times.
- Flexibility will be key to success and you will be required to be flexible in the range of duties you are asked to perform.
Minimum C grade at Maths and English Language or equivalent is mandatory.
A full manual driving licence.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Communicating and Influencing