We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world's biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality.
Think big, create better
Amey Consulting's Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Areas 10, 13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders - Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
After a successful period with an ongoing and increasing workload, we are seeking to recruit a Bridge and Highway Structures Inspector for our Birmingham City Centre based Highways Design Services team. You will work within the Structures Design Team providing effective support and assistance to your Design Team Leader on a range of schemes, which are based across the UK in a variety of locations and in liaison with other Amey teams.
We seek a motivated inspector with demonstrable experience of iDMRB and other standards, with a practical and progressive attitude to safety and scheme delivery. As a key member of the over 30 strong structures team, you will help to develop our capabilities and work with our 11 Chartered Engineers providing technical support to our Graduate, Assistant and Civil Engineers.
Many of the Structures inspections will be within the Midlands and mostly via the Midlands Highways Alliance. However, there will be inspection work required further away; therefore, you will need to drive and be able to travel to locations across the UK.
Being an experienced Bridge Inspector at Amey Consulting, you'll have the chance to focus on the parts of your role you most enjoy. Whether it's further training to broaden your skills, working more closely with your clients to build relationships, or having the opportunity to develop leadership capabilities, our environment is one of collaboration and support where the direction of your career is led by you.
In a typical week you will:
- Drive effective health and safety practices
- Lead on the delivery of schemes designs, as well as providing support to the Design Team Leader within the design team on various design duties including:
- Planning, programming and cost estimation
- Carry out site surveys, inspections and supervision of colleagues on site
- Prepare technical reports (e.g. Principal General and Special Reports and other technical documents)
- Reviewing design drawings and records to inform reports
- Supporting development of Engineers and Technicians
- Produce Safe Systems of Work in line with the Amey Zero Safety Code
- Ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards
- Work to programme to deliver specified designs on time
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of the budget for projects including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources
- Represent the business stream in multi-disciplined project teams
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with the client and other relevant stakeholders
- Ensure innovation and best practice is highlighted and adopted where practicable
- Keep up to date with your own personal development to ensure the natural growth of the team
We want to hear from you if:
- You hold or are working towards a qualification under a registered scheme, entitled 'Bridge Inspector Certification Scheme' which has been developed in accordance with National Highway Sector Scheme 31 (NHSS 31) via Lantra or other similar
- You are able to demonstrate developed experience and expertise within the relevant technical field
- You are able to demonstrate an ability to produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering reports, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements
- You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You are experienced in the application of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
- You have knowledge of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers