£30,854 - £36,456 per year Grade 5, £36,456 - £41,555 per year Grade 6
about 1 month ago
South Vale Building Control are a shared service between South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils, and we have an exciting opportunity for building control professionals to join our dedicated building control team.
We are looking for a Surveyor who is enthusiastic, dedicated and passionate about creating safe built environments. You’ll be responsible for undertaking a full range of duties carried out by the building control team which include dealing with a range of domestic type building control applications, site inspections and technical queries. You’ll also work as part of the team to provide advice and guidance to our customers to help deliver excellent customer service and build good working relationships with our agents, architects and builders.
This is a career grade role so if you’ve only been working in building control for a short time you’ll receive training and support to help you gain more experience so you can independently take responsibility for more complex domestic type applications and progress onto a Grade 6.
Building Control Surveyor Responsibilities.
• Dealing with building notices, full plans, regularisations and reversion type building control applications covering a range of domestic building works including new dwellings, extensions, conversions, material alterations and change of use
• Providing professional advice face to face, on the telephone and in writing on behalf of the Council in respect of building control and related issues, including providing pre-application advice
• Carrying out plan appraisal of full plans applications for a range of domestic building works including new dwellings, extensions, conversions, material alterations and change of use.
• Site inspections relating to building notices, full plans, regularisations and revision applications covering a range of domestic building works including new dwellings, extensions, conversions, material alterations and change of use
• Enforcing the building regulations and carrying out associated duties as and when required
• Recording site inspections in line with Building Control Performance Standards and Council Quality Management Systems
• Participate in Continuous Development
• Assisting other teams within the service when required, including Planning Enforcement, Development Management and Environmental Health
Building Control Surveyor Requirements:
• Excellent IT skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet and email
• Good report and professional letter writing skills
• Be able to give clear, accurate advice on procedure
• Good oral and written communication skills
• Ability to interpret scale drawings and Ordnance Survey maps
• Investigative, methodical and accurate approach to work
• Ability to organise and prioritise a high and constantly changing caseload
• Ability to make assessments and decisions independently
• Ability to take individual responsibility for caseload and meet performance targets
• Ability to work as a part of a team and support team members
• Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and equality
Your essential qualifications:
• HND/HNC or equivalent level of experience
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in building control to apply at Grade 5 or minimum 3 years’ experience in building control to apply at Grade 6.
• Student or Associate membership of the RICS, CABE or CIOB or in the process of applying for this
About the councils:
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme.
Salary: £30,854 - £36,456 per year Grade 5, £36,456 - £41,555 per year Grade 6
Duration of role: Permanent
Hours per week: Full time (37 hours per week)
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire
• A basic 24 days annual leave per annum, rising to 29 days after five years.
• You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year.
• Flexible working and annualised hours – a flexible approach to work that our employees love!
• Salary pay awards – most jobs give scope for a pay increase after six months or the following April (depending on your start date) and we also review salaries each April.
• Payment of one professional membership each year.
• A generous career average pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary. No car park costs as there’s ample free parking available.
• The opportunity to purchase a bike through Cyclescheme (cheaper than directly through a store) so that you can cycle to work!
• A salary sacrifice car lease scheme – a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost.
• Various schemes to keep you healthy (reduced gym membership, free swims, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users, after work sports clubs and more). We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.