Bristol Abbey Wood, London Main Building, Manchester Piccadilly Gate
The post is responsible for the provision of specialist accountancy and costing advice to both internal and external customers in the acquisition of defence equipment and in-service support.
The post will undertake cost accounting investigations in the delivery of business objectives.
The post holder may be fully qualified AAT Level 4 (or equivalent), or part qualified CCAB, CIMA or equivalent and possess 2-4 years’ experience in a finance and/or accounting role.
This position is advertised at 37 hours per week.
You will provide costing advice on the charging and recovery of costs related to single source procurement to both UK and Overseas customers in accordance with the relevant procurement regulations such as the Single Source Contract Regulations (SSCR) and the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR).
You will lead the investigation of Cost Recovery Rates, Capital Servicing Allowances (CSA), Overseas Audits and cost claims with a portfolio of defence contractors, assist with more complex rates and claims and provide specialist advice and support to staff, MOD project teams and commercial staff.
The post requires regular engagement with people (both internal and external to the organisation), including provision of quantitative/qualitative information and proactively contributes to team discussions/activities to support the success of the team.
The role will require liaison at appropriate levels with other MOD departments, external authorities and Defence Contractors in respect of the purposes of the post.
• Investigate outturn cost and recovery rate claims from defence contractors and be able to interpret management information, statutory regulations, make decisions as to the allowability of costs and the causes of key variances;
• Provision of management information e.g. report and analysis, specialist advice and guidance to multiple stakeholders on complex issues across all levels of seniority;
• Deliver assignments to the requisite standard, scope and timescale;
• Acting as a point of contact, establish and maintain relationships with industry representatives and key internal customers. Interact in an appropriate manner escalating and resolving issues accordingly;
• Ensure conformity with all departmental processes and policies. Support internal and external compliance and quality audits as required;
• The post may have line management responsibility including prioritisation of duties, allocation of resources, training and development and coaching of others.
AAT Level 4 (or equivalent) or Part Qualified CCAB/CIMA (or equivalent).
Willingness to study towards achieving full CCAB/CIMA status within 3-4 years. Access to study will be provided through the MOD Finance Apprenticeship Scheme.
Finance Skills Certificate (FSC): complete Foundation Level (held or to be obtained within 6 months of starting in post).
Finance Competence Framework (FCF): hold one or more FCF assessment or a willingness to undertake in post.
Willingness to attend in-house specialist skills and work placed training at various locations as and when required followed by development of practical based knowledge.
Complete all mandatory training/Continuous Professional Development (CPD) relevant to the post.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Understand the concept of financial accounting standards and their application;
Possess a good understanding of cost management functions, cost control financial reporting systems and methods of cost analysis and recovery;
Ability to analyse and interpret financial transactions and provide scrutiny on the legitimacy of cost information, producing accurate management information and related reports;
Fully proficient in MS Office applications, particularly Excel and the use of formulas, look-ups and pivot tables;
Understanding and awareness of the concepts of CAAS and in-contract management, processes and controls;
Ability to collaborate effectively with others and constantly deliver high quality outputs within required timescales;
Demonstration of ability to support change and continuous improvement