We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced HR professional to join our Capability and Development Team within Human Resources. The team, delivers a learning and development service to the Department, with the overall aim to build the capability of our staff and the Department as a whole.
The team is responsible for:
Providing learning opportunities to build capability, available to all staff, that directly support DfE achieving its aims. We lead on Management, Wellbeing, Leadership and Diversity & Inclusion.
Engage with Civil Service HR and the Core Civil Service Wide offer to ensure we take full advantage of cross-government learning opportunities and frameworks.
Defining, sourcing and procuring learning interventions in line with government rules on procurement and organisation need.
Ensuring development budgets are effectively and appropriately managed, balancing value for money with value added solutions.
This exciting corporate role directly supports the Department’s people priorities such as Diversity and Inclusion, Wellbeing and developing Leadership capability.
1. Identifying development or capability needs for Directorates / large groups with clear rationale linked to organisational outcomes.
2. Designing innovative solutions working with strategic suppliers, for example Civil Service Learning or internal colleagues using blended learning solutions and modern learning technologies.
3. Ensuring delivery meets defined outcomes to develop capability and engages the learner to further develop their capability.
4. Evaluating the solution so it delivers value for money and identified development needs.
ResponsibilitiesIn addition to the above, the successful role holder will:
• Be knowledgeable of adult learning techniques and development frameworks including needs identification, design, delivery, and evaluation.
• Promote cross government learning solutions offered by ‘Civil Service Learning’ and work with teams to ensure staff are registered and maximise and utilise learning opportunities.
• Use of range of communication channels to promote Learning and Development opportunities across the Department whilst ensuring accessibility needs are met.
• Build excellent working relationships with Civil Service Learning and other appropriate internal and external learning providers to ensure delivery of relevant, specific courses to the organisation.
• Keep abreast of industry thinking and deliver innovation through exploitation of existing and new learning approaches and technologies to improve the learning offer, maximising use of DfE's HR Workday platform
• Supporting the team to deliver its business as usual activities, using, and maintaining various platforms, software or applications which could include Civil Service-wide learning offers and Microsoft Teams
• Create Management Information reports and materials using a range of IT platforms including Workday and Microsoft Office.
• Periodically, arrange and support delivery of management development, team development sessions and away days to improve working practices, organisational culture, and key skills (such as communication) within department.
• Ability to be flexible and willing to undertake a range of duties as required.
• Travel periodically to DfEs sites across England as and when required.
Essential criteria - experience and technical:
• A solid knowledge and demonstrable experience of the end-to-end learning and development process and frameworks, including needs identification, design, delivery and evaluation. (Lead Criteria).
• Able to balance the conflicting demands of delivering learning and development initiatives and programmes, whilst successfully managing organisational learning and development requirements.
• The flexibility and confidence to work at all levels across all areas of the organisation and other government departments.
• Working on own initiative in a fast-paced environment.
• Proven communication and stakeholder management skills, written and verbally.
• Ability to quickly build strong relationships, with a variety of stakeholders at all levels.
• Awareness of content management systems, e-learning, collaboration tools and knowledge management to support delivery of modernised learning.
• Have or working towards full or part-qualified member Level 5 Intermediate Award, Certificate and Diploma in Learning and Development, or Associate member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD).
• Understanding of budget and budget management process
• Microsoft Office 365 suite (Word, Excel, SharePoint)
• Used Workday and its learning module