LocationUK-England-London-London Support Centre
Job Purpose and Mission
To grow the sales and margins of the beverage and retail lobby categories in the UK retail business through the development and implementation of effective strategic and operational plans, including the execution of brand consistent, consumer-led, innovative product ranges and display, in line with the brand standards and product lines developed by the EMEA regional support function.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
1) Strategic Direction of beverage and retail lobby categories in UK
Working with the Category Manager, sets the strategic direction for accountable categories in the UK in-line with regional Brand Guidelines, including long term strategy and annual business planning activity to achieve vision.
Creates the annual operating plan (AOP) for the relevant categories (including Ready To drink range) in the UK including products, pricing, packaging and distribution. Manages products through their lifecycle. Recommends direction of category to senior management.
2) Commercial ownership of relevant category plans
Management of the in-year plan, continuously assessing and monitoring the performance of owned categories, making this visible to the wider business, highlighting and acting upon emerging themes or insights to address or accelerate performance. Managing margins inline with the plan and monitoring closely campaign performance to accurately forecast forthcoming promotions.
3)Trends & Insights
Continuously monitors market and consumer trends and insight, and acts on these insights with supply chain to list products that place Starbucks in a place to exploit the emerging trends. This can include (but not an exhaustive list) - commissioning customer focus groups, competitor shopping, visiting trade fairs and reading trade press and relevant market reports and incorporating learning into category strategic direction.
4) Operational Execution
Defines and executes detailed implementation plans for product and new initiative roll-outs. Creates content and tools for communication to stores for day to day management of relevant categories.
Ensures Marketing function is briefed on required support for categories in campaigns. Is the key point of contact for all Beverage knowledge from a campaign perspective.
5) Budget Management
Manage the UK Beverage & Lobby category budget
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Category management experience with a key understanding of how to access category growth levers
- P&L and budget responsibility
- Proven experience in leading category strategy, operational business plans, trend understanding and interpretation
- Proven track record in delivering positive top and bottom line growth to categories
- Proven experience of developing a beverage and lobby retail offering which meets consumer needs and matches brand values
- Experience of the UK Beverage or QSR markets would be preferred
- Commercial sales analysis, including a high level of proficiency in Excel
- Well-developed strategic and operational capabilities
- Self starter with a completer finisher mind set
- Confident with a cross functional approach including working with lots of committed stakeholders
- Project management / an ability to hit deadlines
- Commercial acumen and proven category management skills
- An excellent written and verbal communicator
- Strong communication and influencing skills across a wide range of geographies