About the job
Overview of the job
This is a management job in an establishment.
The job holder will be responsible for the Food Services for the establishment including responsibility for the activities within all food areas (and staff mess).
This is a non-operational job with line management responsibilities.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
• Responsible for ensuring the provision of meals for prisoners and for the quality and quantity of meals served.
• Responsible for monitoring a safe working environment e.g. requesting repairs to kitchen equipment, on-going testing and reporting operating faults on computer aided facilities management system.
• Responsible for the achievement of Service Levels Indicators within the unit, verifying and signing off documentation as appropriate.
• Responsible for compliance with all Food Safety Management systems and Hygiene Assessments within the kitchen and associated areas. Undertaking Risk Assessments and responding to hazards as and when appropriate.
• Responsible for costing the menu requirements and management of the catering budget including the provision of cultural, health nutrition and special dietary needs.
• Act as point of contact for all external/internal stakeholders visiting the kitchen including Independent Monitoring Body (IMB) and Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Prisons (HMIP).
• Responsible for estimating, ordering and managing resources (generally food and ingredients to deliver the catering requirements of the establishment). Ensure effective utilisation of those resources to maximise the reduction of waste.
• Responsible for maintenance of security standards in the kitchen area in line with Local Security Strategy (LSS) and National Security Framework (NSF).
• Responsible for prisoner workforce in the kitchens, ensure that they are appropriately inducted, trained, supervised and paid and complete all documentation relating to prisoners where required.
• Responsible for implementation of national policy and/or contribution towards the development of local policy, procedures and practice for catering and ensures consistency across the unit in the application of policies and procedures affecting prisoners and staff.
• Responsible for the collection, collation, analysis and acting on data concerning the catering function including feedback on the choice and quality of food provided and weekly individual menu choices from residential area.
• Responsible for training wing food handlers on hygiene stand.
• Responsible for carrying out kitchen inspections, audit preparation and documentation for audit purposes.
Undertake other management tasks as follows:
• Manage devolved budgets in accordance with the financial procedures outlined in the budget delegation.
• Responsible for the management of all staff within their area. This includes staff performance, development and annual appraisal through to sickness absence management.
• Ensure all HMPPS standards and Service Delivery Indicators (SDIs) are implemented and managed within the relevant work area.
• Ensure all national and local policies and procedures are implemented and compliant (examples; NSF, LSS, Finance Manual).
• Attend as directed any relevant boards/meetings and actively contribute, either as chair or team member.
• Provides leadership and direction to supervisors and staff within their defined work area through briefings, building informal and formal relationships and effective communication.
• Produce relevant reports as required and ensure all correspondence is replied to within agreed timescales.
• Liaise and form good relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
• Contribute to the preparation of the prison contingency and emergency plans, and ensure implementation when required.
• Manage resources to deliver the activities within the defined work area, and contribute to the mid-to-long term business planning process.
• Ensure the defined work area and associated activities comply with Health and Safety legislation. Ensure all risk assessments are undertaken and staff are made aware of their personal responsibility towards ensuring Health and Safety compliance.
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation Scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the job holder.
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh.
must hold a Food Hygiene Level 4 Diploma or equivalent Level 4 award in HACCP. They are required be familiar with applying all current health, safety and hygiene related regulations that apply in a working kitchen environment and demonstrate previous competency at supervising or management of staff within a kitchen environment. Refresher training in Food Safety (HACCP) should be completed at 3 year intervals environment.
ResponsibilitiesPlease refer to Job Description
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Please refer to Job Description