About the job
The deployment of CCUS in the UK is essential for the UK to reach its target of net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. In addition to reducing emissions, delivering large scale CCUS infrastructure in the UK’s industrial regions will create jobs and export opportunities, and will position the UK as a global leader in a critical global technology and CO2 storage. It will also support the growth of the hydrogen economy positioning the UK as a leader
in CCUS enabled hydrogen production.
This is a priority for the Government following the government’s commitment to deploy CCUS in at least two industrial clusters in the 2020's.
The work is expansive, varied and extremely interesting. We are at a critical and exciting juncture as we build a new, multi-disciplinary team cross-Government team comprising colleagues from BEIS, Infrastructure Projects Authority (IPA) and the Treasury. The team also works closely with developers of CCUS clusters, regulators, and devolved administrations. This is high profile work, and a ministerial priority.
The directorate roles will be responsible for:
• Developing the funding model that will enable the creation of a new form of economic regulation for CO2 transport and storage networks
• Developing the funding model for CCUS Power plants
• Leading discussions with CCUS clusters on the delivery and timeline of the deployment of CCUS clusters. This includes the design and delivery of the CCUS Infrastructure announced by the Chancellor in March 2020.
Establishing a programme management function that will play a central role in successful delivery, including responsibility for specific areas such as managing the development of legislation, engagement with the devolved administrations, subsidy control and wider departmental Net Zero objectives.
The work of this directorate will be a key enabler of the decarbonisation of industry, development of blue hydrogen production and clean, low carbon flexible power. This will involve close collaboration with colleagues responsible for the delivery of Industrial CCUS and Hydrogen business models.
About the Role - CCUS - Capture Strategy and Power Business Model
CCUS business models will incentivise the capture of CO2 from a range of emitters – driving decarbonisation in a number of critical areas of the economy including power, industry, hydrogen production and negative emissions.
This role will lead on the development of the business model in relation to power with CCUS and play a cross cutting role on how common CCUS infrastructure can drive regional decarbonisation. It will involve working closely with colleagues across the Department including the Industrial Decarbonisation Directorate which leads on policy development in relation to Industrial Emitters and Low-Carbon Hydrogen.
We are looking to recreate the success that we have had in relation to the CFD scheme for renewables, the main revenue support scheme that is supporting the transition to a low carbon electricity system.
You will play the pivotal role in the design of this instrument for power generation enabled by CCUS, balancing the need to attract private sector capital whilst seeking to ensure value for money for the electricity consumer.
You’ll also be responsible for developing the long term strategy for power CCUS as the role it plays in the electricity system changes over time, and also taking into account the potential for innovation in the electricity system, through the use of hydrogen fuels and bioenergy for example.
As part of this role you will need to work closely with colleagues across the department in developing our position on negative emissions which would encompass direct air capture and bioenergy with CCS in power.
As a leader in BEIS you will actively promote and develop an inclusive environment where our people feel safe to challenge and innovate. You will balance the demands of the role with the development of our people while displaying passion for the work, inspiring the team, and wider stakeholders, to engage with the long term vision for CCUS and Net Zero. A critical measure of our success will be our ability to fully integrate all the workstreams that contribute to the development of the CCUS Industry into one collective effort with a clear focus on outcomes.
ResponsibilitiesSkills, experience and qualifications for all roles
• You’ll be able to demonstrate evidence of strong team leadership, including a strong focus on building capability as the team expands, inspiring the team to perform, delivering at pace but giving people the necessary space and authority to deliver their work, whilst building resilience.
• Excellent commercial policy skills, including the ability to cut through complexity and provide clear direction in an ambiguous and sometimes uncertain context. You will be expected to demonstrate experience of delivering commercial outcomes in the context of wider strategic objectives.
• Strong delivery skills to successfully manage a significant project and contribute to a complex programme, to tight timetables, encompassing strategy development, financial analysis and negotiation.
• Excellent stakeholder engagement and management skills, including with energy and industry stakeholders, and with the financial and investment communities.
• A strong communicator, capable of being able to influence external and internal partners successfully and in a way that secures mutually beneficial outcomes.
Although experience in the energy sector or involvement in government led infrastructure projects is desirable, it is not essential.
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.
A culture of flexible working, such as job sharing, homeworking and compressed hours.
Automatic enrolment into the Civil Service Pension Scheme.
A minimum of 25 days of paid annual leave, increasing by 1 day per year up to a maximum of 30.
An extensive range of learning & professional development opportunities, which all staff are actively encouraged to pursue.
Access to a range of retail, travel and lifestyle employee discounts.