You will ensure the continued provision of high-quality scientific advice, lead on growing Cefas’ role and reputation internationally, and ensure that Cefas uses the opportunity from leaving the European Union to drive innovation and new approaches to fisheries management and environmental protection in the UK.
To achieve this ambitious agenda, you will need to be an experienced leader of highly-skilled, multi-disciplinary teams, able to provide the energy and inspiration to lead through times of change and uncertainty, with a track record of strengthening and developing organisational capability. You will possess strong communication and influencing skills, with personal credibility to build trust and develop partnerships with a range of domestic and international stakeholders.
ResponsibilitiesIt is essential that you provide evidence and proven examples in your application against each of the selection criteria.
• Excellent, visible leadership skills; the energy and enthusiasm to inspire staff at all levels of the organisation and convey a persuasive future vision; and a proven ability to lead multi-disciplinary and highly skilled professional teams to deliver challenging objectives through times of change and uncertainty.
• Experience of strengthening organisational capability, improving staff engagement and building high performing, diverse and inclusive teams able to thrive under pressure, including ensuring the continued professional development of scientific and technical staff and retaining their skills and experience within the public sector.
• Strong communication and influencing skills, with the personal credibility to gain the trust of senior stakeholders within Government, industry and academia and the ability to effectively represent Cefas at home and internationally.
• An understanding of the working of Government, and an ability to operate effectively across Government Departments and with a range of global partners and stakeholders to support the successful delivery of a variety of mutual objectives
• Experience as a budget holder (or accounting officer) including oversight of effective systems of financial management and internal control, and delivering value for money
• Experience of working on international issues including with governments and a range of partner organisations in the private and public sector, and academia.
• Experience of the marine sector, with the ability to be a credible and authoritative leader within the sector
• Experience of engaging with science and how it supports policy and industry.