We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world's biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
What is the purpose of this role?
Our multidisciplinary team encompasses Highway, Bridges and civil structures, Drainage and River engineering, Geotechnical engineering, environmental consultancy, utilities, BIM, traffic and transportation. We pride ourselves in working collaboratively with each other and with our clients to deliver innovative and practical engineering design solutions.
As experts in our field, we are focused on technical excellence. We provide a supportive environment in which to develop the knowledge and skills of our staff to ensure careers thrive.
We are looking for people who can help deliver our significant current local workload and have a highways background specialising in highway design or drainage and river engineering (hydraulics/hydrology).
What will this role involve?
In a typical week you will
- Develop designs in accordance with the Client's requirements and relevant design standards to achieve cost effective solutions
- Assist in the development and supervision of project team members
- Help carry out competency appraisal processes subject to suitable level of supervision
- Represent the business stream in multi-disciplinary project teams
- Preparation and monitoring of the budget for projects including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances
- Prepare and check of feasibility studies, appraisal / assessment reports and other written documents
- Develop engineering solutions and presentation of engineering options
- Highway alignment junction designs
- Produce and check design concepts, design details, drawings specifications and other technical documents
- Design of Highway schemes (junctions, links, cycle and public realm schemes to DMRB standards)
- Departures, pavement designs, RRRAP assessments, traffic sign and road marking designs
- Use of highway / drainage /rivers design software, including Bentley MX, Civil 3D, Microdrainage, KeySIGN
- Working in accordance with current BIM and information modelling standards
- Use of Common Data Environments such as Bentley ProjectWise
We want to hear from you if:
- Chartered Engineer, or near chartered status
- Bachelors (preferably Masters) degree in Civil Engineering, accredited by the Engineering council
- Current Health and Safety Legislation and CDM Regulations
- Highway design standards (DMRB) / contract standards (MCHCW)
- Use of highway / drainage /rivers design software, preferably Civil 3D or Bentley MX
- BIM level 2 and Common Data Environments would be advantageous
- Experience of delivering competent designs of minor and major road schemes for trunk
- MS Project or other programming software would also be advantageous
What makes this role unique?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people's lives. It's what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You'll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You'll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You'll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You'll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don't believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other's perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.