Birmingham, London, Warrington
The role will be primarily to develop and lead CHIS Ops training for the HUMINT department but additionally will provide Controller surge capacity to the CHIS Ops teams at times of operational overload. This will also ensure the incumbent maintains operational currency and competency.
The role requires a detailed understanding of law enforcement’s response to serious and organised crime. You will need the ability to deliver at pace in order to place HUMINT intelligence and evidence at the heart of NCA delivery.
You may be expected to work directly or indirectly in tackling child sexual exploitation and abuse. This may involve exposure to child sexual abuse material. You should consider the sensitive nature of the work before deciding to apply.
All officers working on or supporting this type of operational activity will undergo a psychological assessment on taking up the role and at regular intervals once in post.
By applying for this role you are confirming that you are willing to work on child sexual exploitation and abuse operations
To be considered, you will need to successfully complete SC clearance before commencing the role and DV STRAP clearance within the first 12 months as part of your probation period.
You may also be required to undertake a mandatory pre-employment substance misuse test and achieve a satisfactory result.
Please note – We cannot guarantee you will be posted to your first choice of location though we will make every effort to accommodate
The primary responsibilities are:
• To manage and oversee the delivery of NCA CHIS training through the NCA’s NPCC-approved training courses. This includes leading a CHIS Ops training team.
• To ensure the cost-effective and efficient delivery of CHIS training programmes in a wide variety of settings and environments, in both the UK and overseas.
• To oversee and manage the on-going development of the NCA CHIS Ops accreditation pathway to ensure that NCA CHIST training continues to be recognised as “best of breed”.
• To oversee and manage the programme of Continuous Professional Development for all current NCA CHIS Ops staff.
• To oversee and manage the development of CHIS Ops training SOPs.
• Oversee, plan, manage and co-ordinate the source recruitment and handling operations of a HUMINT Collection Team, and Agency Liaison Officers where appropriate, in accordance with Agency requirements as directed by Head of HUMINT, relevant UK (and where appropriate foreign national) legislation, authorities, agreements/permissions and Agency policies and procedures.
• Undertake CHIS/HIS/UC Controller duties in accordance with legislation, policy and procedures, dealing with registered and potential CHIS.
• Set and monitor operational performance and ensure that all operations have control measures in place including contingency plans and current risk assessments which conform to SOPs and that projects align with strategic objectives and comply with relevant control strategies.
• Manage issues relating to the performance and conduct of officers in line with Agency values/policy.
• Trained CHIS Controller at Enhanced Level (former National Level 4) or other agency equivalent.
• Training Qualification L4 or equivalent.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Experience of the supervision and management of Covert Human Intelligence Sources to support serious organised crime investigations in the UK and overseas.
Experience of the supervision and management of handling staff engaged in CHIS operations.
Operational risk management in support of business delivery.
Proven experience of leading, managing and supervising operational planning and effective resource/budget management within a HUMINT environment.