We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world's biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
What is the purpose of this role?
The design and delivery a wide diverse range of projects to the customer by providing technical input into schemes, working within defined budgets, to an agreed timetable and to high professional standards.
Key responsibilities are:
- Assist in the development and supervision of project team members
- Assist with competency appraisal processes subject to suitable level of supervision
- Assist in the preparation and monitoring of the budget for projects including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances
- Assist with the development, management and undertaking of Road Safety Audits
- Plan and prioritise own activities to ensure effective utilisation of time
- Undertake technical design work including the production of electronic drawings using AutoCAD and other related software.
- Resolve problems and issues to support the delivery of projects or design objectives
- Take ownership of and resolve problems by leading the team when required
- Provide technical administrative support including project administration
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with internal and external business partners, customers and clients
- Assist with continuous improvement in the services provided by the team
- Assist less experienced colleagues ensuring compliance with pre-defined standards
- Take ownership of personal development in order to build professional capability
The applicant will need to demonstrate they have the key skills / knowledge in the following areas:
- Good experience of the co-ordination of the design process and team management
- Client focused approach to service delivery
- Design experience within a traffic engineering environment
- Experience in the use of AutoCAD/KeyLines to produce technical drawings
- Experience of traffic sign design and use of KeySign/KeyPost
- Knowledge of relevant design standards including the Traffic Signs Manual, Design Manual for Roads and Bridges
- Awareness of contract documents and procedures including the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works
- Knowledge and experience of CDM regulations and other health and safety legislation
- Knowledge of QM and EMS processes
- Experience of designing cycling and walking schemes
- Experience of writing Traffic Regulation Orders
- Experience of designing a variety of schemes; traffic calming, priority working, minor highways, bus lanes etc.
- Extensive experience of undertaking consultation with residents/businesses, stakeholders, councillors and other third parties
- Knowledge of relevant legislation including the Road Traffic Regulation Act; the Local Authorities Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations; The Traffic Management Act; the Highways Act and the Highways (Road Humps) Regulations
- Good awareness of the role of Designer under CDM
- Ability to undertake all activities to produce schemes through to detailed design
- Ability to work to tight timescales and budgets
- Team player
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Flexible and enthusiastic in approach
- Developing and motivating self and others
- Well organised
- High level of computer literacy including competency in the use of AutoCAD, KeySign, KeyLine, KeyPost, Microsoft Office
What makes this role unique?
Amey Consulting's Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
The office is progressive and looking to grow, we have a wealth of experience and knowledge which will be actively shared with our Civil Engineers. The Account specialises in Highways, Rivers, Geotechnical and Structural design. However, it's not all work, we have an enthusiastic social team to arrange out of hours' activities. We also give our staff one day off per year to support local charities / community event and we support flexible working.
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.