The roles are newly created to improve financial support across DfE’s commercial activity, both in terms of driving value through high priority procurement projects and also developing and implementing the department’s commercial finance policy.
The roles are within an ambitious function, seeking to improve outcomes and implement change across our function.
The newly formed team is responsible for improving our approach to Commercial Finance activity, in particular: how we implement key elements of the Outsourcing Playbook; increase commercial finance capability across the finance function; and drive greater value for money through our procurement activity.
About the Department for Education
The Department for Education is responsible for education, children’s services, higher and further education policy, apprenticeships and wider skills in England. We work to achieve a highly educated society in which opportunity is equal for all, no matter what their background or family circumstances.
DFE finance is a great place to work, we value the creativity and innovation a diverse and inclusive workforce brings. We therefore welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and those with flexible working patterns.
• Develop products and policies to implement across the DfE’s Finance and Commercial directorates to embed the Commercial Finance offer;
• Provide support, and in some instances lead engagement, on priority commercial projects across DfE;
• Support the development of Commercial Finance across the department, in particular in supporting the upskilling of the Finance community;
• Provide ad-hoc support to the Finance community across the department on Commercial Finance issues;
• Lead the production and management of reporting across the function, in particular tracking the functions impact across DfE;
• Work effectively across the division, ensuring advice to the department’s Investment Committee is incorporated into finance reviews of business cases; and
• Contribute to a positive and inclusive team culture.
We are looking for enthusiastic team-players who are able to deliver results across multiple different business areas.
You will have strong communication skills, and be able to influence individuals at a senior level, in particular supporting them to understand and form decisions around complex financial issues.
You will be proactive and enthusiastic, with good judgement and excellent organisational skills, as well as a keen eye for detail.
You will need a flexible approach to dealing with a challenging and varied workload and the ability to manage conflicting, high profile priorities.
You will have experience of dealing with complex financial issues in commercial activity or have experience of scrutinising and interpreting financial accounts.
Experience working in a Commercial Finance environment and CCAB (or equivalent) qualification is desirable but not essential.