Amey and Trafford Council are working in partnership to deliver environmental and infrastructure services for Trafford. The new partnership, formed in 2015, delivers commercial and domestic waste collections, street cleaning, grounds maintenance, highways services, bridges, road safety, street lighting and furniture, drainage and property services.
The Trafford Highways Consulting account provides the local highway authority function on behalf of Traffic Council. It comprises approximately 40 engineers, technicians and support staff and is organised into three teams dealing with Traffic, Development Control & Drainage and Highway Maintenance (including highway structures).
What is the purpose of this role?
This is a 1 Year FTC
Following the Coronavirus pandemic, the Department for Transport (DfT) has made funding available to local authorities in favour of people's safe movement, health and wellbeing. The emergency grant funding known as Emergency Active Travel Fund (EATF), supports local transport authorities with producing cycling and walking facilities.
This will include providing administrative support, drafting content for social media and other communications materials, analysing data, updating databases, support with organising stakeholder events when required, responding to stakeholder enquiries and supporting the delivery of projects.
What will this role involve?
You will report to the Communications and Engagement Manager and provide administrative support to various walking and cycling projects. Being an excellent communicator with strong attention to detail are important aspects of this role.
Ensuring good relationships with all internal and external stakeholders are maintained and assist in the management of expectations and the reputation of the company.
Key responsibilities are:
- Provide administrative support to projects (internal and external teams)
- Plan social media campaigns to engage with a wider audience
- Help ensure clear communication of key message across all channels
- Assistance in maintaining web content
- Update databases and media lists
- Facilitate effective internal communications
- Draft communications content for press releases, newsletters, leaflets, social media etc
- Support with enquiries from the public, Elected Members, the press, and related organisations
- Attend events such as workshops, exhibitions etc
- Undertake relevant market research
- Ensuring brand style and tone is consistent throughout all communication and marketing materials
- Be accountable for ensuring the Health and Safety responsibilities against the role are met
- To represent Amey Plc as required
What are we looking for?
- Experience in communications, either in an agency or in-house
- BA in communications, journalism or related field a plus but not essential
Knowledge & Experience
- An interest in local government and communications
- Proven experience as a Communications Assistant or similar role
- Understanding of media relations and digital media (paid and organic)
- Good researching skills
- Excellent communication abilities (oral and written)
- Strong attention to detail
- Organisational skills
- Proficient in MS Office; familiarity with digital platform
- Administrative and social media marketing experience
- Establishing effective relationships with stakeholders and responding to enquiries
- Understanding of the political landscape with experience of liaising with stakeholders
- Monitoring and evaluating communications data
What makes this role unique?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people's lives. It's what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You'll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You'll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You'll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You'll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.