Conservation Enquiry Officer
This is an opportunity to join a shared Specialist Team within a busy and forward looking planning service. You’ll champion the historic environment within the planning service, wider council services and the community. You’ll also assist in providing effective professional advice on listed buildings and heritage assets as well as helping to facilitate informed decisions by ensuring that officers and councillors are appraised of issues and receive relevant, up-to-date advice.
Conservation Enquiry Officer Responsibilities:
- Respond to telephone and email enquiries related to the historic environment and listed building issues.
- To lead on the preparation of draft conservation area character appraisals and management plans. Involving fieldwork, documentary research, the compilation of draft texts, maps, public consultations and preparing draft committee/cabinet reports for checking by senior officers.
- To lead in the co-ordination, monitoring and supporting of local interest groups with character appraisal project work. This will include progress reporting, appraising draft documents, participating in public consultation and preparing draft committee/cabinet reports for checking by senior officers.
- Assisting in the drafting of guidance and explanatory notes related to historic environment policy and supplementary planning documents.
- Providing basic advice on matters relating to listed buildings and conservation areas including repair methods and conservation techniques.
- Assist with specialist advice on applications for listed building consent and planning permission. This will involve assessment of proposals on site, discussion with planning and other colleagues and negotiation with applicants/agents.
- Undertaking condition monitoring of simpler applications to ensure that work to listed buildings has been carried out in accordance with approved plans.
- To assist with planning, conservation area and listed building enforcement action.
- To assist conservation colleagues with background information on complex applications, appeal and enforcement matters and any other duties commensurate with the post.
- A flexible approach to hours of work which may include evenings to assist with service events or training, public consultation and attendance at committee meetings.
Conservation Enquiry Officer Requirements:
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral), with the ability to communicate ideas and information clearly with an excellent customer focus.
- Understanding of relevant planning legislation and a desire to keep knowledge up to date, maintaining a high level of competency to deal with changing legislation.
- Ability to research concepts and projects with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret scale drawings and Ordnance Survey maps.
- A degree or diploma in Historic Building Conservation or a relevant discipline or studying for a degree level qualification and/or equivalent level of experience.
- Eligible for full membership of relevant professional body, for example IHBC.
- Knowledge of planning conservation and building conservation.
- Full driving license and ability to travel independently (use of a car).
If you have the following experience – it’s a bonus
- Experience of project management.
- Experience of Graphic Information Systems (GIS).
About South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils:
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme.
Location: Milton Park, Oxfordshire
Hours: Part Time (29.6 hours per week)
Salary: £26,369-£30,854 per year pro rata
Closing Date: 10TH JANUARY 2021
You may have experience of the following: Conservation Officer, Planning Officer, Planning Assistant, Planning Policy Officer, Town Planning Officer, Urban Planning Officer, Development Management Officer, Town Planning, Urban Regeneration, Planning Enforcement Officer, Local Authority, Planning Permission Specialist, Development Management, Historic Buildings, Listed Buildings, etc.
Conservation Enquiry Officer