Northern plays a vital role in the North of England by connecting tens of thousands of people to work, leisure, education and more every day. We currently operate approximately 2500 train services daily, serving a population of nearly 15m and call over 500 stations across the North.
The Control Operations Manager role reports directly to the Head of Control and is responsible for ensuring that Northern services and Control Staff operate within the mandated operational, occupational and legislative safety regimes.
Over recent years the role has evolved to become a significant link to internal and external stakeholders, whilst also supporting wider business needs with tactical solutions and this has resulted in the need for a second Control Operations Manager role to be implemented. The changes will provide a Control Operations Manager to oversee each of our Control Centres and this could be you.
Your overall objective from this role is to drive continuous improvement and a consistently high standard of service delivery from Control through robust application of safety, operational and customer policies and procedures.
Your ultimate goal is to provide an excellent travel experience for our customers.
About the role:
Some of your main responsibilities will be:
· Ensure that Northern services and control staff operate within the mandated operational, occupational and legislative safety regimes. Ensuring that Control have all necessary documentation to enable them to discharge their Safety responsibilities.
· Develop and implement standards and processes that ensure a professional and consistent approach to service delivery.
· Ensure that the Control processes are optimised and achieve performance targets and that actions taken to overcome instances of disruption are effective and efficient, protect Northern Rail interests and maximise performance.
· Hold a competence assessor qualification and support team assessments as directed by the Control Competence Assessor. To include assessment of the Duty Control Manager rules module (Safety Critical)
· Support the Head of Control in the delivery of the Northern Managing for Attendance procedures
· Hold a competence in the role of Duty Control Manager (Safety Critical Role)
About you and your experience:
The successful candidate will have, or be able to work towards;
· Experience in railway operations with a sound knowledge of the working railway with particular emphasis on passenger train operation and incident management.
- A sound knowledge of Rules, Regulations and Safety Instructions relating to the operation of passenger trains using both diesel and electric multiple units and traincrew conditions of service including rostering procedures.
· An ability to perform safety critical duties at Duty Control Manager standard.
- A qualification to undertake competency assessments.
- IOSH Certificate
You should also have:
· Strong interpersonal skills and experience of collaborative working.
· Excellent organisation and IT skills
· Good people skills
· Strong leadership skills
· Ability to be flexible and resourceful
· Outcome focussed
· Ability to prioritise and develop working plans
· Positive, persuasive and articulate
· Qualified to undertake competency assessments to the required national standard.
In return, you’ll discover brilliant opportunities to grow and progress within Northern. Not to mention amazing perks and benefits like free or discounted travel, employee assistance, generous policies, regular pay reviews and a great pension. We look forward to receiving your application.
For more information about this role or to discuss further please contact Tony Ridley – Head of Control on 07920 857751