When appropriately tasked, the unit also works with Law enforcement partners across the UK and on occasion overseas.
CMU officers work flexibly to deliver the Agency’s objectives:
The CMU is ready to respond to tasking on a prioritisation basis 24/7, 365 days a year.
The unit’s officers participate in an on-call roster which gives a first response to tasking received at short notice, outside daily hours, and at weekends.
In addition to officers’ attendance in response to planned tasking, there are frequent changes of working pattern at short notice. This includes regular extended duties and where necessary night time working.
The successful candidate will manage the CMU’s resources, prioritising work in order to meet competing operational demands.
Candidate will be required to successfully pass an audiometric assessment prior to commencement and bi-annually thereafter.
Responsibilities• Manage a dedicated team to undertake the lawful acquisition of audio and video covert monitoring product.
• Manage the handling, security, accuracy, and appropriate dissemination of evidence and intelligence.
• Provide the case Senior Investigation Officer (SIO) with advice on legislation, tactical options and evidential opportunities to assist the planning of investigations and operations. Agree parameters of Covert Monitoring (CM) tasking and support required by both parties to achieve common goals.
• Act as CM operational manager on serious /complex / high profile operations.
• Support the business requirement for flexible working in order to achieve the NCA’s objectives and contribute to the provision of on-call cover outside core working hours.
• Audit standards and record keeping throughout the lifecycle of CM operations.
• Manage instances of threat, risk and evidential opportunity, collateral intrusion and confidential material.
• Display an aptitude to identify, troubleshoot and resolve problems.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Demonstrate your current practical experience in conducting covert monitoring.
- Show experience in the application of current UK Legislation as it directly pertains to covert monitoring activity.
- Show proven ability in supervising / managing a team, working to tight deadlines, within a dynamic environment.
- Show how you have managed risk and opportunity as a result of material you have been responsible for acquiring.
- Experience of developing and delivering a challenging topic to varied audiences.
All officers in the NCA are members of the UK Civil Service. You will be eligible for:
• Civil Service pension scheme
• 26 days annual leave rising to 31 on completion of 5 years continuous service
• Training and development opportunities
• Cycle2work scheme
We take the welfare of NCA officers very seriously. All staff have access to Occupational Health services and there are a number of staff representative groups. We also have a range of sporting and other activities on offer.
We can provide flexible working arrangements if the role in question is suitable. These include flexi-time, job sharing and compressed hours (working contracted hours over a shorter period).