To prevent death and injury, we help businesses and people understand how the laws to keep people safe at work affect them and provide guidance on what to do. To help us achieve this we employ the largest concentration of health and safety experts in the country including frontline inspectors, specialists, policy delivery teams, economists, lawyers and administrators, all working together to help protect people.
Operational support staff contribute to the delivery of the Strategy by supporting the work of HSE Inspectors across a range of industries including Manufacturing, Construction, Chemicals and Energy. The support is delivered through a range of established and developing procedures.
Customer Service Apprenticeship
Successful candidates will work towards an NVQ Level 2 in Customer Service, which will take approximately 16 months to complete. We require individuals who are serious about working in a customer service role and can show the required determination to complete their apprenticeship programme.
We will offer successful applicants flexible working patterns, full training and a professional office environment.
HSE is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive working environment and we particularly welcome Male/BAME/disabled/LGBT+ applicants, as they are currently underrepresented in this discipline within HSE.
As part of this role you will need to:
• Develop awareness and knowledge of HSE’s work and organisational structure
• Acquire an understanding and knowledge of relevant operational and business support procedures and functions
• Work closely with the Team Leader and colleagues to deliver the key responsibilities of the post in a flexible and responsive manner, responding positively to changes of priority as work demands dictate
Examples of the work you may be involved in:-
• Provide professional administrative services to support frontline activities to help achieve HSE’s strategic programmes and priorities
• Complete thorough and accurate pre-visit checks and prepare visit documentation, using targeted information. This involves undertaking telephone calls and database checks to assist inspectors to visit the most appropriate premises
• Gain the knowledge to be able to answer telephone calls promptly and courteously as well as dealing with follow up calls or providing updates on the progress of applications
• Support investigation activity and process litigation cases where appropriate
• Input enforcement notices and other information onto HSE’s computer systems
• Use bespoke and off the shelf software packages, including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, update records on our systems and make changes to details as and when required
• Access accident reporting database and coordinate the processing of submissions
• Deal with Freedom of Information/Civil Procedures and Gas requests
• Participate in regular team meetings and one to one meetings with the team leader to recognise and improve performance
• General administrative duties and other work as directed by the team leader
• Keep up to date with new and changes to procedures and be proactive in self-development
As part of your role you will work towards an NVQ Level 2 in Customer Service which will take approximately 16 months. You can find out more about apprenticeships from the attached document 'A Guide to Apprenticeships'
This is a development role so to be eligible to apply, the training and development you receive must provide you with significant new skills and learning. This is an essential requirement for apprenticeship funding and means you must not already be fully qualified or experienced in this type of work.
In addition you must:
• not hold a similar level or higher level qualification to the apprenticeship UNLESS this is in significantly different subject/business area.
• be aged 16 or over (there is no upper age limit)
• have the right to work in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the UK/EU/EA for 3 consecutive years before starting the apprenticeship
We require individuals who are serious about working in a customer service role and can show the required determination to complete their apprenticeship programme. As the Apprenticeship is a training role, to complete this NVQ level 2 in Customer Service you should not already hold equivalent qualifications or experience in this area.
You must have 5 GCSE passes at grade A*– C or 9 – 4 including English Language.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Managing a Quality Service
Making Effective Decisions
Delivering at Pace
• Access to learning and development tailored to your role
• A working environment that supports a range of flexible working options
• A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
We invest in our people with:
• Competitive rates of pay
• Access to the highly competitive Civil Service Pension Scheme to which HSE contribute 27.1% far more than in the private sector.
• Family friendly policies and working hours to help balance your home life and career
• Up to 30 days annual holiday, plus bank holidays and Civil Service privilege leave
• Parental leave benefits: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
Returning to work after a break:
We appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications from individuals who have been out of work for some time and who have previous relevant experience.