About the job
Data Analysts develop data products of varying complexity and provenance that support data-driven operational activities across the NCA.
NDEC are, and will be, at the heart of this response and you will be joining a team of dedicated and diverse professionals who are all committed to making NDEC and the NCA a success.
What are we looking for?
• Strong data analysis, visualisation and management skills.
• Areas of deeper knowledge of programming and build technologies and practice.
• Broad understanding of analytical approaches.
• Excellent stakeholder and consultative skills.
• An understanding of ethical considerations of potential data science approaches, and the legislation applicable in this area.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
ResponsibilitiesWhat will I be doing?
• Data Management: Gather data from a variety of sources and manage large datasets in accordance with best practice.
• Data Handling: Develop and implement techniques to bring together raw data from a variety of sources and carry out data cleansing, structuring, enriching, and data modelling.
• Logic and Critical Thinking: Apply appropriate analytical methods and software tooling to datasets and articulate the strengths and weaknesses of each approach.
• Data Analysis: Assist the development and implementation of databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimise statistical efficiency and quality.
• Data Visualisation: Present findings to a range of stakeholders in a clear and concise format, selecting the communications channel relevant to the audience.
• Quality Assurance: Ensure the quality, secure handling and dissemination of data and analytical products, whilst ensuring confidentiality and sensitivity in line with NCA policy and enterprise governance standards.
• Team-working: Work in multi-functional teams to advise, quality assure, develop and deliver strategic and tactical data analytical solutions to operational challenges.
• Communication: Build working relationships with colleagues across the NCA’s technical community to develop skills and cross-functional working.
• Collaboration: Share and disseminate knowledge and findings across the broader analytical and NCA community as appropriate.
• 2:1 in a STEM degree
Please ensure the dates of any accreditations you are relying on, are entered on to the CV.
Should you progress to the assessment stage of the process, you will be required to provide a copy of the original certificate.
Failure to provide evidence at interview may result in your application not progressing to the next stage.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing and Improving
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Data: Evidence that they have autonomously designed data processing to support analysis.
- Statistics: Evidence of explaining analysis to influence non-technical stakeholders. Has autonomously designed analysis to support a decision.
- Programming / Computing: Experience of using scripted programming (e.g. R or Python) to solve data science problems in a professional context.
All officers in the NCA are members of the UK Civil Service. You will be eligible for:
• Civil Service pension scheme
• 26 days annual leave rising to 31 on completion of 5 years continuous service
• Training and development opportunities
• Cycle2work scheme
We take the welfare of NCA officers very seriously. All staff have access to Occupational Health services and there are a number of staff representative groups. We also have a range of sporting and other activities on offer.
We can provide flexible working arrangements if the role in question is suitable. These include flexi-time, job sharing and compressed hours (working contracted hours over a shorter period).