Data Engineer | Dunstable | Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity for a Data Engineer within our Support Centre in Dunstable. Can you take commercial data and turn it into actionable insights? Harness the full potential of bleeding-edge technologies, while enabling business stakeholders to understand complex data? If so, then we would love to hear from you!
Whitbread is the UK's leading hospitality company in the FTSE 100 including brands such as Premier Inn and Beefeater. By the end of 2020, our goal is to increase the number of Premier Inn UK rooms to an incredible 85,000. All while creating around 3,000 UK jobs a year and continuing to expand our presence worldwide. There has never been a more exciting time to Whitbread!
About the role:
Our data engineering team here at Whitbread are facing an exciting period of growth and there is a real opportunity to have a huge impact in delivering business-value to stakeholders.
You will deliver data projected across:
- Premier Inn - Automated Trading Engine
- Premier Inn and Restaurants - Customer Hub
We are proud of our tech stack, where you will have the opportunity to work with Azure Data Factory, Data Bricks, Data Synapse, CosmosDB, Python.
What you’ll be doing:
- Delivers across the entire software delivery life cycle – concept, design, build, deploy, test, release into post implementation support.
- Ensures work is of the highest quality and performs code/peer reviews within the team and across teams.
- Specifies user/system interfaces and translates logical designs into physical designs taking account of target environment, performance requirements and existing systems.
- Ensures all deliverables are well documented, re-usable, tested and conform to agreed architecture design patterns and coding standards.
- Undertakes analytical activities required to support the development and maintenance of systems.
- Provides support on key products should there be an incident / problem related to a product that’s now live and requires a development fix.
- Supports the relevant project/backlog delivery events; planning / user story estimation, daily stand-ups, sprint reviews/ demos & retrospectives.
- Supports / collaborates with the team and takes ownership of driving forward relevant stories (updating the ticket on the Kanban board & Jira).
- Jointly responsible with the team for converting the Product backlog into ‘Done’ potentially releasable increments.
What you’ll need:
- Azure Data Services (Data Factory, Databricks, Synapse Analytics)
- Microsoft BI experience (SSAS, SSIS, SSRS, Power Platform)
- Solid experience of T-SQL (stored procedures, functions)
- Integration and ETL experience
- Experience of Tableau or Power BI
- Experience with relational and multi-dimensional databases and data modelling
- Experience with NoSQL databases (Cosmos preferred)
- Able to conduct requirements gathering and train business users