The Royal Society of Chemistry is the world’s leading chemistry community and the UK’s professional body for chemical scientists - connecting the world of science to advance chemical knowledge for a better future.
Position: Data Engineers
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire (commutable from Alconbury, Bedford, Bury St Edmunds, Cambridgeshire, Cambridge North, Cherry Hinton, Chesterton, Ely, Fen Drayton, Fenstanton, Histon & Impington, Hitchin, Huntingdon, Longstanton, Milton, Newmarket, Northstowe, Oakington, Orchard-Park, Royston, Saffron Walden, Somersham, St Ives, St Neots, Stevenage, Swavesey, Waterbeach, Wyton and surrounding areas)
Job type: Full-Time or Part-Time, Permanent
Hours: Full-Time or Part-Time, minimum 21 hours per week
Salary: £44,021 to £48,913 per annum plus benefits
Benefits: Excellent contributory pension scheme, generous paid holidays, 35-hour (for full-time staff) working week, learning and career development, subsidised staff restaurant (Cambridge office), staff sports and social club, free private healthcare plan, income protection scheme, critical illness insurance, life assurance, free on-site parking (Cambridge office), season ticket, car/motor cycle and cycle to work schemes, membership subscription, employee assistance programme, eye-care at work scheme, wellness initiatives, flexible work environment, employee recognition, long service awards, membership subscription to professional body and RSC, two discounted staff flats on-site (Cambridge office) and more.
About the role:
The Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) has an opportunity for a Data Engineer to join us on a permanent full-time (35 hours per week) or part-time (minimum 21 hours per week) basis, at our Science Park, Cambridge office (free onsite parking, close to the guided bus and Cambridge North rail station).
As a Data Engineer for the Royal Society of Chemistry, you'll be part of the Royal Society of Chemistry’s Data Science & Insights team who play an important role in the RSC's mission to shape the future of the chemical sciences – for the benefit of science and humanity, focusing on projects that make a measurable difference. They use their knowledge to help produce reports on topics such as gender biases, to help prepare briefs to guide government policy on research funding and education, and to take part in international competitions to improve the state of the art in machine learning.
Reporting to our Data Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining the Royal Society of Chemistry’s data warehouse. This role is highly technical and hands-on, and involves running projects to ensure that data is consolidated, standardised and accessible in a manner that is useful to the RSC.
In this role your core responsibilities will include:
- Building and maintaining a secure, cloud data infrastructure across regions to support needs.
- Participating in all aspects of data platform lifecycle, including high level design, architecture definition, implementation, testing and deployment.
- Curating complex datasets derived from business, chemist and chemistry data.
- Designing and building ETL pipelines to include data from a wide variety of sources.
- Supporting the needs of our data scientists, analytics staff and the RSC.
- Working with stakeholders to identify requirements and to evaluate and deploy solutions.
- Providing technical expertise to help drive our data products and insight strategy, advocating the effective use of data technologies.
- Understanding and working in accordance with Data Protection and legislative frameworks.
- Ensuring the data is standardised and made available to those that need it.
- Remaining up to date with the latest techniques in data engineering.
- Communicating and presenting complex topics to others.
- Degree in a numeric or scientific discipline.
- Experience in Python and associated data manipulation packages (e.g. NumPy, pandas).
- Familiarity with analytical, statistical or machine learning.
- Experience in data standardisation and QA techniques.
- Database technical knowledge including experience with both SQL and NoSQL solutions.
- Well-organised, self-motivated team player; aptitude for project management.
- Able to clearly communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Negotiating skills to quickly resolve customer issues.
- A drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques.
- Dashboard experience highly desirable.
- AWS experience beneficial.
At the Royal Society of Chemistry, we offer a great, flexible work environment and benefits.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply before the end of our closing date.
You may have experience of the following: Data Engineer, Data Analyst, Database, SQL, Quality Assurance, Degree, Science, Chemistry, Biology, NumPy, pandas, Python, Data Management, etc.
£44,021 to £48,913 per annum plus benefits
8 days ago