About the job
Data Scientists collate and manipulate large datasets to create analytical products that inform NCA operational delivery. We’re looking for someone to apply cutting-edge approaches to managing and interrogating data and contribute to the embedding of data science across the Agency.
NDEC are, and will be, at the heart of this response and you will be joining a team of dedicated and diverse professionals who are all committed to making NDEC and the NCA a success.
What are we looking for?
• Knowledge of efficient and effective ways of using data science to tackle business and organisational challenges.
• Skills in applying data science techniques to present challenges and an ability to communicate through data visualisation techniques and other methods.
• Strong stakeholder management and consultative skills.
• Experience managing, coaching and mentoring technical team members and/or a professional interest in developing management skills.
• An understanding of ethical considerations of potential data science approaches, and the legislation applicable in this area.
ResponsibilitiesWhat will I be doing?
• Data Management: Gather data from a variety of sources and manage large datasets in accordance with best practice.
• Software Analysis: Apply appropriate analytical methods and software tooling to datasets and articulate the strengths and weaknesses of each approach.
• Data Manipulation: Manipulate large datasets to solve analytical challenges and provide support to intelligence-led enforcement activity.
• Solution Management: Develop scientifically robust and innovative solutions to technical challenges.
• Data Handling: Develop and implement processes for direct data capture and analysis.
• Quality Assurance: Ensure the quality, secure handling and dissemination of data and analytical products, whilst ensuring confidentiality and sensitivity in line with NCA policy and enterprise governance standards.
• Team Management: Line manage, support and mentor technical members of staff.
• Coaching: Provide guidance and support to the technical team members, helping them scope solutions and pursue new ways of working with data and tools.
• Collaboration: Contribute to the sharing and dissemination of knowledge and findings across the broader analytical and NCA community as appropriate.
• Communication: Build working relationships with colleagues across the NCA’s technical community to develop skills and cross-functional working.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
• 2:1 in a STEM degree
Please ensure the dates of any accreditations you are relying on, are entered on to the CV.
Should you progress to the assessment stage of the process, you will be required to provide a copy of the original certificate.
Failure to provide evidence at interview may result in your application not progressing to the next stage.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Programming / Computing: Experience of using scripted programming (e.g. R or Python) to solve data science problems in a professional context
- Data: Evidence that they have autonomously designed data processing to support analysis.
- Statistics: Evidence of explaining analysis to influence non-technical stakeholders. Has autonomously designed analysis to support a decision.
All officers in the NCA are members of the UK Civil Service. You will be eligible for:
• Civil Service pension scheme
• 26 days annual leave rising to 31 on completion of 5 years continuous service
• Training and development opportunities
• Cycle2work scheme
We take the welfare of NCA officers very seriously. All staff have access to Occupational Health services and there are a number of staff representative groups. We also have a range of sporting and other activities on offer.
We can provide flexible working arrangements if the role in question is suitable. These include flexi-time, job sharing and compressed hours (working contracted hours over a shorter period).