The Sight Loss Support counsellor project lead will be responsible for ensuring the Focus Birmingham Sight Loss Support Services deliver a person centred high-quality counselling service. They will responsible for ensuring the counselling service deliver the outcomes and outputs stipulated by Focus and their funders. The successful candidate will work as part of the Sight Loss Support team, within a local charity dedicated to support people living with visual impairments, and/or other disabilities.
The main aim of Focus Birmingham is to help make people’s lives better, the successful candidate with work with us to achieve this.
- Provide a 1-2-1 quality therapeutic counselling service to people living with sight loss and/or additional disabilities
- Provide own therapeutic supervision
- Making assessments of clients’ presentations and emotional states.
- Delivering 1-2-1 counselling service within the service model
- Monitoring progress and making adjustments to the counselling as necessary
- Work with the Sight Loss Support leadership team to develop the aims and objectives of the group counselling programme
- Facilitate and counsel within a group setting
- Support with the continued development of the counselling service
- Work with the Sight Loss Support team including freelance counsellors to ensure service deliver quality standards are met
- To build effective relationships with the people we support including their support networks, staff teams, volunteers and stakeholders.
- Undertake all work in accordance with the BACP Ethical Framework.
- To develop an understanding of the impact of sight loss
- Knowledge and experience to identify and assess risk
- Able to identify, understand and respond to the differential impact that disadvantage, inequality, stigma and discrimination have on individuals
- Ensure all Health and Safety, risk assessments and other statutory obligations are met.
- Counselling diploma
- Minimum three years experience within a similar setting
- Experience of extensive 1-2-1 therapeutic work
- Empathy and understanding
- A non-judgmental approach
- Good IT skills including use of Microsoft office
- Experience in group facilitation work
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling or Psychotherapy, or professional-level CBT qualifications
- Experience of working with people affected by disabilities
About Focus Birmingham:
Focus Birmingham is an independent local charity that provides information, advice, support and care for people with visual impairment and complex needs.
Location: Harborne, Birmingham or Remote
Contract Type: Part Time, Fixed Term Contract (6 months)
Salary: £30,000 p/a, pro-rata
You may have experience of the following: Project Lead, Project Manager, Charity, Charities, NFP, Not for Profit, Third Sector, Counsellor, Counselling, Sight Loss Counsellor, Therapist, Psychotherapy, CBT, etc.