We are seeking an outstanding candidate to head the Business Energy Use team.
You will lead a high performing team handling an unusual mix of strategy, policy and operational delivery. You will be responsible for developing and delivering a strategy and set of policies that will set the UK’s roughly 2 million commercial buildings on a credible pathway to net zero.
You will join and lead an established team of around 30 staff, helping build an encouraging and inclusive environment for a highly engaged team with a broad range of skills and experience.
ResponsibilitiesKey outcomes / deliverables for this role over the next year include:
• Developing and securing cross-Whitehall support for a suite of policies to decarbonise business buildings between now and 2050
• Concluding consultation on and beginning to implement new minimum energy efficiency standards for rented business properties
• Planning and negotiating with industry the next phase of Climate Change Agreements, which provide tax incentives for business to decarbonise
• Developing an approach for larger business buildings, including through in-use energy reporting
• Crafting and implementing a new Small Business Energy Efficiency policy mechanism
• Delivery, and development of future plans, for key existing policies at delivery stage, including on Combined Heat and Power, industrial heat recovery and energy auditing of business buildings
You will work with a peer group of policy and delivery Deputy Directors and will be a key member of the Directorate's Senior Leadership Team. You will also play a leadership role within the wider Group and Department.
As part of our senior leadership team, you will also be expected to play an active role in the ongoing corporate management and development of the organisation.
The successful candidate will be:
1. A strong corporate and team leader with a track record of leading a substantial team, providing leadership strength in a dynamic environment, and ability to build high performing, inclusive teams.
2. A skilled policy professional who can move smoothly between long term strategy development and delivery and tactical decision making in a fast-moving environment.
3. Able to offer excellent commercial and financial insight, with the ability to integrate advice from a range of professionals as well as broader evidence sources to underpin high quality advice to Ministers.
4. Someone who can build effective relationships with diverse partners and capable of flexing your style, to understand and engage with different audiences.
5. An excellent communicator with the skills to present complex issues simply and optimally at senior levels.
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.
A culture of flexible working, such as job sharing, homeworking and compressed hours.
Automatic enrolment into the Civil Service Pension Scheme.
A minimum of 25 days of paid annual leave, increasing by 1 day per year up to a maximum of 30.
An extensive range of learning & professional development opportunities, which all staff are actively encouraged to pursue.
Access to a range of retail, travel and lifestyle employee discounts.