This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced technology professional to shape the delivery of technology services to a Department that plays such a pivotal role in the lives of all of our fellow citizens.
With the passion and skills to deliver the next generation of high performing technology services for our customers and staff, you will drive forward a culture of continuously improving services, increasing quality, performance and security while bearing down on cost.
DfT has recently concluded a major programme of work to change the way we provide technology services. We have moved to a cloud model, which gives us flexibility and bandwidth to be brave in the services we offer to our colleagues.
To continue the growth of the organisation we are seeking a candidate to build, lead and drive our strategic functions, including Architecture, Business Partners and Information & Cyber Security, whilst delivering the core foundational Digital technology offerings to colleagues and businesses through our Live Services team.
This is a key role within our Digital Service team, which will be pivotal in maximising opportunities arising from the shift of our services to a cloud environment. We are seeking a strategic thinker who can resolutely deliver outcomes in line with our strategy while embedding new ways of working that increase the agility and responsiveness of our delivery. The successful candidate will be an exceptional leader with a track record of delivering the full realisation of benefits of digital technology to a large and complex organisation with diverse requirements.
Leadership and People Management
• Develop a culture of high performance and rapid delivery of outcomes across span of control.
• Manage and develop staff to improve business performance and build staff potential.
• Line manage Live Services, Architecture, Digital Consultancy and Information and Assurance teams, developing, coaching, motivating, energising and inspiring them.
• Manage budgets in line with departmental obligations, more than ten million pounds per annum.
Architecture & Strategy
• Oversee the DfTc Digital Consulting functions, compromised of Business Partners & Architecture.
• Take responsibility for the development of the DfTc Digital Technology Strategy to deliver the concept of a Digital DfTc.
• Define core principles, policies and standards by which potential solutions are assessed.
• Develop a roadmap outlining the current state of play and delivery milestones on the way to achieving the desired target operating models.
• Share best practice and lessons learned with colleagues in DfT family and wider government
Information & Cyber Security
• Lead the information and cyber security capability within the Department (excludes Data Protection, Corporate Security and Transport Security) to ensure consistent and high-quality security management.
• Ensure that the Information & Cyber Security policies and security controls employed remain appropriate and proportionate to the assessed risks, and are responsive and adaptable.
Service Operation & Transition
• Working with the Deputy Director of Digital Project Delivery to ensure new and modified services meet the expectations of the business and are handed over effectively from the project phase to live operations.
• Oversee the technical governance required to introduce and maintain services into operation.
• Build and maintain a culture of continuous delivery and improvement, ensuring that the infrastructure and key systems are continuously analysed, maintained and improved to agreed standards and quality levels.
• Promote a strong customer service ethos, listening to and acting on customer need.
• Take ultimate ownership of major incidents and subsequent communication activities with relevant team members on resolution activities.
• Working with the Head of Live Services, to develop plans to improve user support, liaising with relevant teams, to discuss and plan appropriate implementation activities.
• Ensure that detailed performance data against key indicators is collected to generate actionable improvements to the quality of services offered by the Digital Service.
• Ensure all live infrastructure, applications and environments are supported effectively and that operational changes can be implemented successfully, and that live service is maintained and any outages are minimised and managed.
For further about the role, responsibilities and person specification please refer to the attached candidate information pack.