The Deputy Director will be an active member of the senior management team. They will work closely with our Crown Commercial Leads (a small cadre of experienced business people that advise government) and leverage their own cross departmental network to identify opportunities for reform and transformation in which the team could add value.
The team prides itself on its collegiate atmosphere and the Deputy Director will be expected to contribute significantly to team leadership and a culture of inclusivity, openness and engagement.
- Relationship management of senior internal stakeholders and external partners.
- Help new private sector staff assimilate with Whitehalll.
- Lead generation, opportunity identification and prioritisation of potential work for the team to maximise impact.
- Work with the Crown Commercial Leads to advise senior leaders across Whitehall.
- Co-lead on projects and advise departments on projects including, for example, assessment of opportunities to improve the model being used to deliver particular services or activities.
- Execute projects, including prepare or assess business cases, project management, evaluate bids, negotiations, assess legal documents.
As projects vary in length, subject matter, complexity and client sponsor(s) requirements, applicants will need to operate in an ambiguous environment with resilience, flexibility and adaptability.
ResponsibilitiesNetworking, collaborating and influencing:
- Have grown and maintained a strong and far reaching existing network of senior contacts across departments which you leverage to support delivery of Government priorities.
- Influence and initiate new discussions across HMG and possess significant Whitehall experience and in-depth knowledge of the machinery and culture(s) of government.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to foster productive working relationships and impactful, outcomes focussed collaboration across Whitehall.
- Demonstrate the ability to spot opportunities for efficiency and transformation and work with others to turn these into projects or programmes of work.
Modelling excellent management and leadership:
- Exemplify the values in the Civil Service Leadership Statement. You will be: inspiring about your work and its future; confident in your engagement and you will empower your team and colleagues to deliver.
- Proven ability to provide exceptional leadership, set direction, foster an open and inclusive culture and prioritise excellent management, pastoral care and development of staff and junior team members.
Project management, credibility and judgement:
- Experience of leading on the management and delivery of cross Whitehall projects.
- The personal gravitas and credibility to lead discussions with senior stakeholders, be credible in front of ministers and external commercial parties and gain their confidence.
- Excellent judgement and confident decision making, with the ability to develop innovative solutions in the face of challenges.
- Some relevant Commercial/Financial experience is essential so that the successful candidate can understand and actively leverage the skills within the team.
Experience of governmental Private Office leadership roles would provide further evidence of an in depth understanding of machinery of government and successful, regular interaction with Ministers.