• Produce draft assessments for the Joint Intelligence Committee.
• Provide assessments on national security issues to the Prime Minister,National Security Council and senior officials.
• Support national crisis management, including in COBR.
• Provide leadership of the national intelligence assessment community through the Professional Head of Intelligence Assessment, ensuring the highest professional standards, cutting edge analytical capability and efficient coordination of resources.
The JIO is seeking a Deputy Director to join the senior leadership team and to lead one of four core assessment groups in the organisation.
This Deputy Director post has responsibility for defence (including weapons technology and doctrine), organised crime and terrorism.
• Lead a diverse team of 10 – 12 analysts within the department.
• Timely issue all source assessments to senior policy-makers.
• Maintain a wide, senior stakeholder network across and outside of HMG.
• Engage at senior levels in the policy process to provide advice and assessment.
• Maintain excellent relations with the intelligence community partners and help lead the analytical community across the government.
• Maximise value from liaison with Allies.
• Lead crisis analysis in COBR.
• Take a corporate leadership role within the JIO helping to deliver a significant change programme.
The JIO prides itself on the quality and rigour of its work. This is a stimulating and intellectually rewarding job at the centre of UK foreign and security policy. Some foreign travel is involved.
The successful candidate must be ready to cover a range of duties and subjects at times of crisis and high tempo, and will be required to cover an out-of-hours duty rotation (typically one weekend every two months).
The post-holder will be a full member of the JIO and wider Cabinet Office national security senior leadership team.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace