You will set the strategy for the effective delivery of communications across all Cabinet Office and No.10’s digital channels. You will achieve this through leadership, development, and performance management of teams and internal specialists, alongside positive collaboration with colleagues and external suppliers.
You will also set and role model clear standards for digital communications across the Government Communications Service (GCS), influencing peers and senior stakeholders, and performing a lead role in transforming the profession so it better connects with audiences and improves strategic outcomes.
You will be responsible for around 30 staff working in No 10 and the Cabinet Office on digital communications, marketing, rapid response, web and product development, and training.
The post holder will be responsible for:
- Oversight of digital products, operations, and outputs
- Lead the No 10 and Cabinet Office digital communications team, which:
- Devises strategy and provides content for digital channels of the Prime Minister’s Office and Cabinet Office
- Runs the cross-GCS Accelerate upskilling and culture change programme
- Hosts web development services
- Supports government media buying with data and technology services and expertise
- Hosts the Rapid Response Unit.
- Direct the highest quality digital content and campaigns, ensuring the use of creative and innovative formats, and performance data analysis to drive continuous improvement.
- Set standards and oversee the strategic development of digital channels and underlying technology.
- Ensure best-in-class analysis of and responses to mis/disinformation as it impacts HMG.
- Provide expert advice and consultancy on the best use of digital channels and technology to support communication objectives.
- Drive best in class data processing, analysis, and reporting to enable the most transparent and efficient buying of advertising media by HMG.
- Advise and influence ministers and senior officials across government in all aspects of digital communication.
- Ensure web development and allied marketing services are deployed to maximum benefit for the GCS.
- Lead on upskilling and culture change programmes to deliver best-in-class government communication capabilities.
In your application you will need to demonstrate how you meet the following essential competencies, skills and experience:
- Provide inspiring, confident and empowering leadership to drive high levels of performance and delivery from a multi-skilled team of around 30 staff.
- Support colleagues from a range of diverse backgrounds to deliver to their potential and develop as communicators.
- Manage delegated budget of circa £1.6m, ensuring that all expenditure provides value for money for the taxpayer.
Role in communications senior management
-Be an active and engaged member of GCS leadership, including through the No 10 and Cabinet Office Communications Senior Management Team, and by building relationships with cross-Whitehall Directors of Communication and other senior stakeholders.
- Promote and advocate for government digital communications through external events and outreach opportunities.
Cross-government digital champion.
- Inspire colleagues across government to pursue the highest standards in digital communications.
- Develop and execute strategies to drive collaboration between and across departments and the wider public service to maximise the impact of communications.
What you need to know
- Understand the wider organisational and industry direction of travel in respect of communications, digital tools and techniques, and use of data.
- Understand the opportunities and challenges in digital advertising including brand safety, transparency, and how to cost-efficiently drive the most effective outcomes.
- Understand how to positively influence senior colleagues and others to achieve desired outcomes.
- Understand relevant legal issues, including copyright and data protection.
- Knowledge of communications and customer insight to drive highly effective digital communication and engagement programmes.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Delivering at Pace