GO-Science coordinates across Government, industry and academia to ensure HMG has the right systems to use and access excellent science and also provides highly effective and impactful advice on major issues. You will form part of the senior team in GO-Science that works together to deliver this function and supports the Governments Chief Scientific Advisor in his role advising Cabinet on scientific issues.
You will need to work collaboratively across government to understand where we are best placed to influence and build credibility to shape strategy and thinking across HMG. Good judgement is key, knowing when to act, and how best to achieve the desired outcomes. You will have real expertise in futures, technology or horizon scanning. You will be responsible for leading and managing a large part of the business, with widely different functions, so need to be able to prioritise and regularly switching between diverse topics. You will need to build and lead a diverse team, weaving together multiple expert domains into a coherent and mutually supportive whole.
ResponsibilitiesSpecific objectives include
• Lead the building of an expanded emerging technology scanning and assessment function in GO-Science, drawing in new capabilities, skills, thinking and systems into HMG;
• Work closely with senior colleagues across HMG to develop policy and decision making frameworks to improve Governments ability to make sense of and react to new technologies to improve policies and services, boost economic growth and protect national security;
• Lead GO’S’ horizon scanning and futures function to undertake high profile scans and bolster HMG’s wider abilities to undertake horizon scanning and so improve policies and the deliver of services across the whole remit of Government;
• Oversee a range of high profile projects exploring new science and technologies and what they might mean for the UK and work strategically to ensure these have impact in HMG and beyond;
• Be an active and collegiate member of the senior management team. working flexibly and strategically to build and improve the expanding GO-Science.
Skills, experience and qualifications
Leadership – you will be able to inspire and motivate your teams and stakeholders to deliver against a challenging and wide ranging remit
Seeing the Big Picture - ability to rapidly understand complex and strategic issues and devise workable plans to deliver against them.
Collaborating and Partnering – ability to draw on a wide range of approaches to engage, influence and communicate with senior stakeholders across Whitehall and beyond to aid delivery
Delivering at Pace - maintaining a strong focus on delivery in a time-pressured and frequently high-profile area, without losing focus on the bigger picture
Managing a Quality Service – able to inspire high quality service delivery and introduce improvements an innovations
A background in futures or technology scanning is desirable. You will have real expertise that you will be able to bring to the role.
DV clearance is a requirement for this role. You should have, or be willing to undergo, this level of clearance
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.
A culture of flexible working, such as job sharing, homeworking and compressed hours.
Automatic enrolment into the Civil Service Pension Scheme.
A minimum of 25 days of paid annual leave, increasing by 1 day per year up to a maximum of 30.
An extensive range of learning & professional development opportunities, which all staff are actively encouraged to pursue.
Access to a range of retail, travel and lifestyle employee discounts.