The Government Legal Department is the largest provider of legal services across government. From roads to rivers, and health to human rights, its work touches on most aspects of public life. We are looking to identify a Deputy Director for one of the five teams in the Employment Group to be based in Leeds, primarily advising the Department of Work & Pensions and the Department of Health.
The Employment Group consists of approximately 90 lawyers who provide employment and litigation services to all Government Departments. This is an exciting opportunity to manage a busy team and to join GLD in a senior leadership role. GLD lawyers are often involved in the leading employment law cases of the day up to the Supreme Court. This particular team also leads on all TUPE work across Government.
Skills & Attributes:
- Demonstrable ability to advise on complex employment law in a litigation or advisory context. Non contentious experience of TUPE and pensions law would be advantageous.
- Mental agility and creativity, able to give authoritative risk-based legal advice that facilitates practical solutions, understanding the need to provide legal advice in fast paced situations.
- The ability to pick up and advise on new areas of work quickly and to oversee the work of other lawyers in the team, ensuring quality, providing support and challenging as necessary.
- The communication and management skills to lead a legal function and motivate staff and to work collaboratively with peers at a time of growing work pressures – championing talent, building a strong culture of continuous learning and improving staff engagement.
- A Solicitor, Barrister or Chartered Legal Executive qualified in England and Wales, able to achieve instant credibility with senior peers in leading a large organisation.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
GLD offers a truly supportive environment and provides a comprehensive training programme for new joiners and experienced GLD lawyers alike.
Closing date: 23.59 - 17 June 2019
For an initial conversation about this role please speak to Rhys Keating at [email protected] or at 0207 529 3949 and quote 'The Find Your Flex Group'.
This post is regulated by the Civil Service Commission.