This is a flagship strategy for the Government in the near- and long-term. This post offers extensive opportunities to: lead the development of new policy; develop and critically evaluate evidence; work directly with Ministers and senior managers including the Permanent Secretary; and to develop strong networks across the Department and Whitehall (including the Treasury).
• Implementing the White Paper commitments: ensuring the ambitions of the White Paper are realised in the short-term and developed over time, making sure that we deliver on our commitments and that this makes a difference.
• Policy development: identifying the policy areas we should focus on, and leading on the development of new policy proposals and frameworks, supported by the best available analysis and commissioning analysis where appropriate;
• Cross-BEIS and Whitehall engagement: Leading the cross-Departmental and cross-Government in your areas to ensure ownership and buy in with those delivery the policy outcomes;
• Leadership: Leading a team of 5-10 people as part of a wider team of around 35 – 40.
• Analysis and Evaluation: Working with the Industrial Strategy Council and analytical colleagues to drive analytical excellence and effective evaluation of current and future policy.
As a member of the directorate’s and department’s Senior Management Team (SMT), you will be expected to play an active corporate role across the department and be actively involved in corporate delivery, staff engagement as well as leading your own area contributing more widely to the Department’s corporate agenda. As such you will be expected to role model leadership by being:
• Inspiring – about our work and its future
• Confident– in our engagement with others
• Empowering – to allow our teams to deliver
ResponsibilitiesThe successful candidate will be able to demonstrate capability and success in the following areas:
• Excellent strategic insight with a track record of, developing and implementing innovative policy and high level objectives;
• Working closely across Whitehall, and with external partners, with a track record of delivering results and building strong collaborative relationships;
• Developing and recommending policy changes, with an ability to interpret and shape analysis and make sense of complex evidence;
• Finely tuned judgement with highly developed collaboration and influencing skills - and a proven ability to work on politically sensitive policy.
• Outstanding leadership, with an ability to build, motivate and inspire teams through periods of ambiguity in a changing environment.
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.