The team is focused on how the United Kingdom can use communications to tackle complex challenges to our national security. You will be working on some of the most important and high profile issues facing Government, both domestically and internationally.
The team’s portfolio can be complex and sensitive, so you will need attention to detail and a focus on delivery. You’ll also need to persuade and inspire those outside your team, establishing effective working relationships across a broad network inside and outside Whitehall. And you will need to be flexible, dynamic and prepared to operate across the ful range of communication disciplines, including Strategic Communications, Campaigns and Marketing, Stakeholder Engagement, PR/Media relations and Digital.
We are looking for a senior leader with the talent, organisational skills and creativity to motivate and manage a high performing team to devise and deliver high-impact communications with partners across Whitehall. The post holder will be expected to manage a programme budget and resources effectively.
* Team leadership – Proven leadership skills to lead and develop a high performing team that delivers impactful campaigns and insightful strategic communications. Create a culture of excellence in the development and delivery of effective communications, underpinned by expert understanding of the whole mix of communications from no cost to major marketing campaigns.
* Develop National Security comms – An excellent understanding of the National Security context, through professional experience in either National Security communications or in another National Security related role. Develop and enhance the capability and capacity of the cross-Whitehall national security communications community.
* Senior leader engagement – Strategic judgement to make evidence based communications recommendations and the personal impact to engage, influence and challenge effectively at the most senior levels. The ability to network professionally and build productive relationships across organisational boundaries.
* Delivery – Proven ability and commitment to deliver campaigns in a complex, politically sensitive environment, taking personal responsibility, while working with and through others to ensure high quality outcomes delivered at pace and on budget.
* Governance – Ensuring outstanding team delivery is underpinned by effective organisation, and best in class finance, governance and programme management.
* Reputation management – Enhancing the reputation of the team inside and outside Whitehall through an effective network and by being an authoritative voice on the use of communications for national security. Representing the team and it’s work, including internationally and to internal and external high value audiences.
* Personal development – Full commitment to your own development and developing others, bringing the best out of direct reports, team members, and as part of the wider Government Communication Service.
In order to be successful in this role you will:
- have a proven record in the development and delivery of effective communications.
- have an expert understanding of the whole mix of communications from no cost to major marketing campaigns.
- demonstrate a clear ability to deliver results in a complex, politically sensitive environment.
- have relentless organisation skills and experience of managing a large team.
- be highly articulate and credible, with the personal impact to engage, influence and challenge effectively at the most senior levels, including the ability to network professionally and build productive relationships across organisational boundaries.
- have a passion for public service, supported by an understanding of the political environment and the way in which the corporate centre interfaces effectively with government departments.
- already hold or be willing to obtain security clearance to Developed Vetting (DV) level before taking up post.
Desirable Experience and Knowledge
- It would be an advantage to have an understanding of the current National Security context, through professional experience in either National Security communications or in another National Security related role.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Delivering at Pace