You will be joining the department at a time when Defence is facing some of the most rapidly changing and intensifying threats, both domestically and on a global scale.
Our challenge is to remain agile to respond to this ever-changing landscape. The nature of Defence, now and in the future, means that we require teams that are inclusive, dedicated, innovative, resilient and determined to meet the new threats we encounter.
This role is at the heart of an ambitious new approach to Transformation in the Ministry of Defence. Our ambition is actively supporting the modernisation and transformation of Defence. As part of this, we have established a Transformation Business Partner team that focuses on delivery support and stakeholder management to the key programmes in the MOD Transformation Portfolio.
This role is to lead a dynamic team that can provide proactive support across the department to assist military and civilian teams in delivering tangible change. Our role is to help make Defence better so that we can be ‘Prepared for the Present and Fit for the Future’.
Reporting to the Director of Defence Transformation, the successful candidate will play a pivotal role in helping to shape the next phases of delivery. You will be working closely with the MOD’s Chief Operating Officer and members of the Defence Transformation Board; together with colleagues across the military and civil service team and services.
The scope of this role is likely to evolve over time as Transformation Programme matures from discovery to delivery and implementation. However, the overall aim will remain constant – Our aim is to drive a more coherent approach to Transformation across Defence:
The role currently line manages 4 and has a team of 9.
• Implement an internal delivery support approach (based on providing targeted resources to specific projects) to provide MOD Transformation programmes with tangible and proactive assistance in delivering against their current and future Transformation plans
• Be the key account manager to the main programmes in the Transformation Portfolio and provide assistance with the development of new Transformation opportunities and benefits
• Engage with Director/2-star military and Director-General/3-star military colleagues across the department to ensure wider buy-in to the programme, facilitating the team’s access to individuals and data, and unblocking any issues that are preventing success
• Lead and grow a team of Transformation Business Partners to help identify opportunities and help project teams on a short-term basis. This will require a business development approach and flexibility as the team helps work up programmes from the “bottom up” and “top-down”
• Build close relationships and work closely with colleagues in Finance, Military Capability and Economics/Statistics
• Lead on Pan-Defence projects which sit across various stakeholder/Functional transformation teams. Where necessary lead on the delivery of sprints and deep-dives in particularly high-profile or complex areas as required to maximise chances of success
• Effectively guide senior colleagues (Director/DG civilian and military) through the change process - ensuring their actions are supporting the future state of the organisation – while maintaining the required pace of execution
• Engage extensively with stakeholders within and outside Defence to ensure Transformation activity is coherent, and to learn and share lessons from elsewhere in the public and private sectors
• Build a clear and consistent understanding of the MOD’s cost base, using targeted data analysis to highlight potential opportunities for new initiatives allowing informed decision-making and facilitating efficiency delivery
• Lead on engagement and dialogue with the department to ensure the Transformation programme is well understood