The MoD is changing the way we provide finance services through our Finance Functional Leadership programme, which seeks to put finance at the heart of decision-making in Defence. This role in the headquarters of the Navy is right at the centre of that effort, leading the implementation of functional leadership in one of the most interesting and challenging parts of the Defence enterprise.
The Royal Navy is an organisation with a long and illustrious past, and now in a period where we are modernising our capabilities and transforming the way we do business, while continuing to fulfil a busy tempo of operational commitments. We are facing some of the most fast changing and intensifying threats, both domestically and on a global level, so we need to remain agile and be able to prioritise our resources within this increasingly challenging landscape. We are a dynamic and fast-paced organisation made up of a multidisciplinary team of civilian and military personnel which enables us to deliver incredible things every day.
We are recruiting a Deputy Finance Director to manage our budget of around £6.5bn per annum and to lead our finance team of around 140 people. As part of the Finance Functional Leadership programme, we are transitioning to a finance business partnering model, empowering team members to support, enable and challenge budget holders right across Navy Command and creating great career opportunities for our people. We are looking for someone who is inspired to deliver this exciting change, who brings a passion for building inclusive, high performing teams and who is committed to providing a high quality finance service to the Navy. Our vision is to build a finance function that is at the heart of decision making in Navy Command and allows us to make fast, high quality decisions about where to invest taxpayers’ money.
This is an exciting time to be part of the MoD’s finance function as we evolve to put finance at the heart of decision making through our Finance Functional Leadership programme. This is an ambitious programme to build capability in the MoD’s finance function and to introduce a revised finance operating model which is consistent with that in other government departments.
The MoD’s finance function of 2700 people, comprising both civilian and military personnel, collectively manages the department’s budget of £39Bn and one of the biggest balance sheets in government.
Navy Command is an organisation of c29,000 people, with a budget of c£6.5Bn per annum, covering operating and support costs, estates, a capitalisation programme and a major transformation programme. Its prime role is the delivery of Defence Tasks assigned to the Royal Navy.
The Deputy Finance Director will be expected to lead a team of c100 people to provide a professional finance service to Navy Command, putting Functional Leadership and Business Partnering at the heart. The job holder will be expected to create an inclusive, empowering culture where the team can thrive and develop, acting as the high performing team that the Royal Navy needs. They will be expected to influence and provide insight to strategic decision making and provide a high standard of financial management and planning, as well as embedding a culture of value for money within Navy Command.
Please see attached the candidate information pack for further details.
• Leadership of the finance team, setting direction, developing the identity and sense of community across the team, and ensuring that finance is seen as a key enabler to the business.
• Ensuring budget holders in the Command understand their responsibilities and that the finance business partners are empowered to work effectively with the budget holders.
• Building excellent working relationships across Navy Command, delivery organisations and Head Office.
• Leading transformation in Navy Command in accordance with the direction of the Finance Functional Leadership Programme.
• Lead on the management of the budget, maintaining excellent but proportionate financial control to ensure expenditure is in line with budget, the balance sheet is managed effectively and the relevant controls and policies are in place to ensure compliance with Managing Public Money (MPM).
• Support the construction of a robust financial plan, including the management of the efficiency programme.
• Oversee the effective operation of a scrutiny and approvals function, bringing in advice from HR and commercial colleagues as required.
• As a key member of the MoD finance function leadership team, representation and attendance at a variety of Boards across Navy Command and Defence.
• Supporting people’s careers, professional development and talent management across the finance function in Navy Command (working closely with the Head of Profession in MoD and across government).