About the job
As a Developer, you will be responsible for creating, supporting and continuously improving one of our learning and recruitment products. You’ll ensure highquality code is delivered in line with project goals and delivery cycles. You’ll thrive using agile methods and enjoy working openly, collaboratively and as part of a multidisciplinary team focused on one or more projects. Above all, you’ll want to make government better, which may sometimes involve challenging the status quo. To learn more about what Developers do in government please review the DDaT Capability Framework
What are we offering?
This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast-paced, dedicated team working across Government to deliver excellent digital services. As an experienced Developer, you will be integral to the delivery and realisation of CSHR’s strategic commitments.
You will own the technology stack, make informed technology decisions, champion security and compliance best practice and effectively work with the Associate Product Manager, Delivery Manager and the Service Manager to deliver the developments outlined in the product roadmap. You will have an excellent understanding of web accessibility and security standards and be able to advise colleagues regarding these when needed.
An excellent team player, you will deliver high-quality developments that allow CSHR to achieve its product vision. You will have an excellent understanding of agile and digital technology and proven experience of using agile to deliver high availability, high traffic services. You will have an excellent understanding of continuous improvement and work with the Associate Product Manager and Business Analyst to ensure that requirements are fully realised and delivered in line with user needs and business expectations. You will be essential to ensuring that CSHR’s digital platforms are robust and performant, providing advice regarding new patches, security threats and emergent technologies.
As a Developer, you will:
• Build RESTful web services to serve a variety of citizen and government needs, taking responsibility for the quality of code you produce.
• Investigate and troubleshoot issues and incidents.
• Carry out manual security patching and have oversight of automated patching.
• Horizon scan for new technologies and security threats, maintain the platform in accordance with security best practice.
• Implement toolkits and APIs for purposes such as integration, performance optimisation, security and scalability.
• Build automated tests to support our continuous deployment environment.
• Share knowledge of tools and techniques with your wider team, both developers and non-developers.
• Act as a digital ambassador across government, identifying good practices to adopt and sharing experiences, e.g. through blog posts, tech talks at conferences etc.
• Participate in our in-house 2nd-line and 3rd-line support, and potentially any outof-hours issue and incident resolution.
• Be involved in helping recruiting developers and, where appropriate, helping sift and interview for other roles.
You will have previous experience of working in a back- and front-end development, with knowledge of the following:
• Java 8, including the Spring framework,
• Nunjunks or another templating framework
• Understanding of software design principles
• Understanding of the GDS service standard
• Ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques.
• A systematic approach to solving problems
• Experience of using testing to validate solutions
• Understanding of agile environments and version control
• Understanding of release management and best practices
• Good understanding about web security and accessibility
• An awareness of technologies used for web applications, e.g. databases, backups, CDNs and search, and of Unixlike operating systems, e.g. Linux and/or Mac OS
• Experience of working on, or with web technologies
The successful candidate may also have knowledge/experience of the following:
• Git or another version control system