About the job
Development Operations (DevOps) Engineers develop and run the operation of NDEC systems, supporting operational teams by ensuring secure, stable, and reliable data systems.
NDEC are, and will be, at the heart of this response and you will be joining a team of dedicated and diverse professionals who are all committed to making NDEC and the NCA a success.
What are we looking for?
• Good software development skills and knowledge of object-orientated programming languages e.g. Python Java, C++.
• Working knowledge of working in a complex data environment e.g. data modelling, automation.
• Working knowledge of information security.
• Experience managing, coaching and mentoring technical team members and/or a professional interest in developing management skills.
• Knowledge of cloud computing, infrastructure, and its implementation (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud).
• Working knowledge of data systems service support.
ResponsibilitiesWhat will I be doing?
• Team-working: Work in multi-functional teams to advise, quality assure, develop, and deliver strategic and tactical data analytical solutions to operational challenges.
• Programming and build: Design, build, test and maintain data systems, making sure they meet business requirements and user needs.
• Data service delivery: Delivering data services that are automated, reliable, and secure; designing automation in data including writing infrastructure as code.
• Team Management: Line manage, support and mentor technical members of staff.
• Coaching: Support and develop staff in programming and coding techniques.
• Quality Assurance: Ensure the quality of software, and dissemination of data/information, whilst ensuring confidentiality and sensitivity in line with NCA policy and enterprise governance standards.
• Communication: Build working relationships with colleagues across the NCA’s technical community to develop skills and cross-functional working.
• Collaboration: Share and disseminate knowledge and findings across the broader technical and NCA community as appropriate.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
2:1 in a STEM degree
Please ensure the dates of any accreditations you are relying on, are entered on to the CV.
Should you progress to the assessment stage of the process, you will be required to provide a copy of the original certificate.
Failure to provide evidence at interview may result in your application not progressing to the next stage.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Experience in designing and testing code / programs for the deployment of large data systems using CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience in designing solutions with embedded information security controls specifically engineered to mitigate risks.
- Experience in service support and can employ DevOps / DevSecOps practices.
All officers in the NCA are members of the UK Civil Service. You will be eligible for:
• Civil Service pension scheme
• 26 days annual leave rising to 31 on completion of 5 years continuous service
• Training and development opportunities
• Cycle2work scheme
We take the welfare of NCA officers very seriously. All staff have access to Occupational Health services and there are a number of staff representative groups. We also have a range of sporting and other activities on offer.
We can provide flexible working arrangements if the role in question is suitable. These include flexi-time, job sharing and compressed hours (working contracted hours over a shorter period).