Didcot Garden Town Team Leader (Urban Design / Development)
Our garden communities service works across South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils. The Garden Communities service is a new team which is being put into place in order to collaborate on delivery of all three garden communities in South and Vale: Berinsfield Garden Village, Dalton Barracks Garden Village and Didcot Garden Town.
There are two available positions for the role of team leader. One for the Didcot Garden Town to manage a team of officers in implementing agreed aspects of the Didcot Garden Town programme. The other will manage the Garden Villages team to implement Dalton Barracks Garden Village and Berinsfield Garden Village. This role is the Team Leader for Didcot Garden Town.
Our work is collaborative in nature and requires working closely with officers on other work teams and in other agencies. Work may include the procurement and management of outside consultants to complete projects.
The Didcot Garden Town team will lead the delivery of the Didcot Garden Town project along with working closely with the Didcot Garden Town Advisory Board (DGT AB) and three sounding boards. The team will routinely engage with the community and a variety of public and private stakeholders.
Didcot Garden Town Team Leader Responsibilities:
- providing input into the creation and deployment of service plans.
- understanding and contributing to budget planning, management and expenditure (overseeing and controlling the budget for your team, as required).
- both informing and writing papers for cabinet, council, committees etc.
- contributing to the achievement of both councils’ overall objectives by aligning the team to identified priorities.
- promoting a positive image of both councils.
- planning and executing work plans that responds to the project priorities set by the Councils, the Didcot Garden Town Advisory Board ensuring delivery of key priority projects aligning project work plans with approved budgets and officer resources.
- procuring and managing outside consultants to prepare and deliver on time and on budget for well-defined scopes of work.
- holding routine internal stakeholder meetings to collaborate with colleagues on all work streams.
- ensuring appropriate responses to public enquiries through the dedicated email inbox and phone line by officers.
- making public presentations about Didcot Garden Town to public agencies, community organisations and internal teams.
- participating on project teams for key regeneration or development projects located within Didcot Garden Town.
- planning and executing pop-up and meanwhile use projects as quick wins.
- gaining approval from councils on a spending plan for Didcot Garden Town infrastructure and liaising with teams to deliver on capital projects.
- meeting with internal planning teams to hear about proposed planning applications and providing advice in alignment with any of the garden communities.
- responding to grant funding invitations by MHCLG and Homes England.
- communicating progress on all aspects of work in a clear and concise way
Didcot Garden Town Team Leader Requirements:
- a successful line manager who is energetic, determined and positive to develop and maintain an effective team.
- excellent line management skills, including the ability to delegate appropriately, empowering employees to effectively deliver operational duties, tasks and goals.
- successful project delivery.
- management or routine reporting experience with a board, commission or committee.
- experience with spatial planning or urban design projects.
- planning or managing public events.
- community engagement or public consultation related to public projects.
- in-depth knowledge and experience of at least one of the functions within your immediate team.
- partnership working including negotiation and execution of contracts.
- local government experience preferred.
- well-developed communication skills: written, graphic and verbal.
- ability to manage a public commission, board or able to communicate and collaborate, seeking the views and opinions of others.
- political awareness.
- willing to travel, as required.
About the councils:
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils are forward-thinking local authorities, based in one of the most attractive areas of the country. They are looking for a professional, competent and enthusiastic person who can communicate well at all levels. An excellent benefits package is on offer including annualised hours (flexible working) and a career average pension scheme.
Location: Milton Park, Didcot, Oxfordshire
Salary: £41,555 to £46,294 per year
Duration of role: This post is a fixed term contract or secondment for two years
Hours per week: 37 hours per week
Benefits: 24 days annual leave per annum rising to 29 days after 5 years. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year. Salary pay awards – most jobs give scope for a pay increase after six months or the following April (depending on your start date) and we also review salaries each April. Flexible working – a flexible approach to work that our employees love! A generous career average pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary. No car park costs as there’s ample free parking available. A childcare voucher scheme which parents appreciate. The opportunity to purchase a bike through Cyclescheme (cheaper than directly through a store) so that you can cycle to work! A salary sacrifice car lease scheme – a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost. Various schemes to keep you healthy (reduced gym membership, free swims, workplace exercise classes, contributory medical schemes, wellbeing appointments, free eye tests for DSE users and more). We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.
Closing Date: 17th February 2021
You may have experience of the following: Public Sector, Local Government, Local Authority, Project Manager, Programme Manager, Council Services, Regeneration, Development, Spatial Planning, Urban Design, etc.
£41555 - £46294 per annum
27 days ago
2 year fixed term contract
Didcot Garden Town Team Leader (Urban Design / Development)