As a Digital Forensics Software Engineer you will be part of a team that satisfies the growing requirement for the exploitation of seized devices. On a typical day you may be required to carry out research and development to defeat the latest device security, engineer new ways to bypass login credentials, develop novel ways to extract data or produce custom wordlists to aid password recovery. There is only one guarantee no two days will be the same.
If you enjoy a challenge and cannot rest until it is solved then this is the job for you, this is a Digital Forensics role like no other.
Responsibilities• Through the application of advanced techniques your role would be to gather evidence and intelligence with a proactive approach for criminal investigations. Techniques used would need to be utilised in accordance with legislation, and NCA policy, in order to disrupt and degrade criminal capability.
• Develop, deploy and protect sensitive techniques and tactics. You will advise upon the use and disclosure of sensitive tactics whilst enabling operational activity.
• Research and development into emerging and novel techniques or tools for extracting data from mobile devices, whilst ensuring the integrity of the information obtained. Your role will also include the maintenance and enhancement of existing tools.
• Analysis of new operating system features and applications in order to find ways to recover data or security credentials. This analysis could require the use of static and dynamic reverse engineering techniques, fuzzing or source code review.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
• STEM degree or equivalent (assessed from CV)
Please ensure the dates of any accreditations you are relying on, are entered on to the CV.
Should you progress to the assessment stage of the process, you will be required to provide a copy of the original certificate.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- An understanding of mathematics and/or forensic principles
- Knowledge of programming languages including one high level language and one low level.
- Technical understanding of at least one mobile platform, iOS or Android
- Experience in computer applications software engineering .
All officers in the NCA are members of the UK Civil Service. You will be eligible for:
• Civil Service pension scheme
• 26 days annual leave rising to 31 on completion of 5 years continuous service
• Training and development opportunities
• Cycle2work scheme
We take the welfare of NCA officers very seriously. All staff have access to Occupational Health services and there are a number of staff representative groups. We also have a range of sporting and other activities on offer.
We can provide flexible working arrangements if the role in question is suitable. These include flexi-time, job sharing and compressed hours (working contracted hours over a shorter period).