DIT helps UK businesses to export, secures inward and outward investment, negotiates market access and trade agreements and champions free trade. The work of the department has never been more crucial. For the first time in over 40 years we have an independent trade policy, with our department responsible for building the capability to use this to take advantage of the opportunities presented through leaving the EU.
You will be a senior communications professional who can create practical and innovative responses to complex issues, with the ability to set creative strategies and campaigns, as well as respond to events as they unfold. You will be committed to developing a high performing team, raising standards and implementing the most modern communication techniques. You will have exceptional stakeholder management and influencing skills and have an ability to successfully navigate complex environments and deliver through effective and collaborative partnerships.
Responsibilities• Be the principal communication advisor to the Secretary of State, Ministers, Permanent Secretaries and Directors General for all communication and marketing activity;
• Set and sell the overall vision and ambition for the directorate;
• Develop and lead high performing, expert, engaged and inclusive teams across the breadth of the portfolio;
• Demonstrate inspirational leadership to direct and deliver world class domestic and international communication and
• Develop robust “Return on Investment” criteria and deliver all communication and marketing campaigns against them;
• As part of the Government Communication Service (GCS), contribute fully to developing a world class profession,
supporting colleagues across the GCS and HMG’s international networks to improve their skills and capabilities;
• Forge constructive working partnerships with all parts of the department and profession, the international network,
and across Government;
• Build effective and collaborative relationships with a wide range of external stakeholders, showing strong personal
• Drive continual improvement across all parts of the directorate, taking full advantage of Government Communication
Service’s professional development programmes and tools;
• Be accountable for all the Directorate’s spending, and deliver the directorate’s activities within budget.