Decanter is the world’s leading wine media brand. It comprises the magazine, two websites, two world-class wine competitions and both Europe’s and China’s premier consumer wine events.
Currently experiencing a period of accelerated investment and a focus on premium digital content we are now seeking an Editor in Chief to lead the editorial function.
We are seeking a senior editorial professional who has the experience to define and deliver the content strategy. An interest and appreciation of wine is essential but knowledge and experience in the wine industry is not required. We can teach you the wine element – we’re the experts after all!
- Define editorial and content strategy to meet the strategic needs of all Decanter channels and areas of business (short, mid and long term), ensuring position in the market is upheld as the authority in wines
- Lead, manage and develop the editorial team
- Agree what Decanter stands for in the industry, trade and consumer markets; setting the editorial tone globally
- Liaise closely with the Sales team to ensure the sales strategy and editorial content strategies are aligned, coordinated and coherent
- Oversee the planning and conception of both written and visual contents to be featured in print and digitally (eg curating mood boards, discussing what news to publish with Managing Editors etc)
- Ensure the quality standards of all editorial channels are met
- Seek new and innovative ways to increase readership and subscriptions
- Set the commissioning strategy, streamlining the contributors to ensure one tone of voice for Decanter is met, and budgets are met
- Ensure selection of stories, articles and columns are in line with content strategy and editorial direction
- Investigate new technologies to ensure editorial processes are fit for purpose and efficient
- Talent spot new writers and contributors to the magazine and digital platforms
- Ensure relationships across teams within the business are effective and positive
To be considered for this role you should have the following skills, experience and attributes:
- Extensive experience leading journalists and editorial teams
- Extensive editorial experience for premium and/or heritage brands
- Experience of managing effective content production workflows
- Exceptional communication skills with gift for inspiring respect from colleagues
And of course . . . a love of wine!