About the job
The Office for National Statistics (ONS) is the UK’s largest producer of official statistics, covering a range of key economic, social and demographic topics. These include measuring changes in the value of the UK economy, estimating the size, geographic distribution and characteristics of the population, and providing indicators of price inflation, employment, earnings, crime and migration.
Our Human Resources team is at the forefront of implementing industry-leading, game-changing people practices. Double CIPD award winners, our commitment to improving people fundamentals is coupled with our drive towards more innovative approaches enabling us to attract, nurture and retain the best.
The Employee Experience Team has a broad HR portfolio incorporating Pay and Reward, Complex Casework, Employment Law, HR Policy, Trade Union engagement and TUPE Activity within the Office for National Statistics and UK Statistical Authority. We are currently looking for an ER Case Investigator to join the team.
The post-holder will be responsible for maintaining collaborative relationships with colleagues across the organisation and will be confident asking challenging questions of colleagues at all levels.
Responsibilities• Plan and organise investigations of a varying nature and complexity in accordance with agreed policies and procedures and current legislation.
• Conduct witness interviews and take statements in accordance with agreed policies and procedures and current legislation.
• Use own initiative, sound judgement and experience to provide appropriate investigatory observations and factual evidence assessments.
• Gather, record and securely retain evidence relating to an investigation in accordance with agreed policies and procedures and current legislation.
• Produce detailed investigation reports and supporting evidence in line with agreed format, ensuring required timeframes are met.
• Where appropriate, attend meetings/ hearings to present the findings of investigations undertaken.
• Contribute to the ongoing development of policies and procedures in relation to conducting investigations to ensure compliance with legislative and best practice requirements.
• Develop an inclusive and positive working environment, role modeling good practice across ONS and the HR profession.
• Practice ongoing continuous professional development.
• Excellent understanding of current requirements and good practice in relation to ER case investigations and its practical application.
• Awareness of future developments to employment legislation and professional developments in relation to investigation good practice.
• Strong interpersonal, teamwork, consultation, planning, problem solving, analytical and presentation skills.
• Professional credibility with proven experience of investigating ER cases.
• Ability to work to deadlines, prioritise own work and manage conflicting priorities.
• Excellent stakeholder management skills with the ability to engage positively with a wide range of groups and receive feedback.
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to articulate complex and contentious messages in a clear and concise way.
• Experience of effectively drafting clear and focused reports.
• Training in undertaking ER case investigations essential.
• Member of CIPD desirable.
The Employee Experience Team are based at both Newport and Titchfield sites, with ONS operating across the UK. Therefore, post holders will need to be able to regularly travel across various ONS and wider Government sites as necessary.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
Whether you are hearing about us for the first time or already know a bit about our organisation, we hope that the benefits pack attached (bottom of page) will give you a great insight into the benefits and facilities available to our employees, and our fantastic working culture.
We are an organisation that takes the well-being of its employees seriously and lives and breathes the desire to modernise the workplace of the future. Everyone, from our office-based staff in Newport, London and Titchfield, to our field interviewers and airports and ports passenger survey staff, are part of a diverse and inclusive family.
Inclusion & Accessibility
At ONS we're always looking to attract the very best people from the widest possible talent pool, and we are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunities employer. As a member of the Business Disability Forum and a Disability Confident Leader we’re committed to ensuring that all candidates are treated fairly throughout the recruitment process.
As part of our application process, you will be prompted to provide details of any reasonable adjustments to our recruitment process that you need. If you would like to discuss any reasonable adjustments before applying, please contact the recruitment team in the first instance.
If you would like an accessible version of any of the attachments or recruitment documents below or linked to in this advert, please contact the recruitment team who will be happy to assist.