About the job
Our Human Resources team is at the forefront of implementing industry-leading, game-changing people practices. Double CIPD award winners, our commitment to improving people fundamentals is coupled with our drive towards more innovative approaches enabling us to attract, nurture and retain the best.
Our in-house Employment Relations Team play a crucial role within the People & Business Services Directorate, managing a caseload and providing invaluable expert support and guidance to managers when dealing with complex people matters.
We are currently looking for an Employment Relations professional to deliver key ER functions as a Complex Casework Consultant.
Responsibilities• Coaching and advising managers on how to apply Employment Policies
• Coaching and advising managers on how to carry out investigations and make decisions in discipline and grievance cases
• Engaging in the review, development and implementation of Employment Policies
• Acting as an expert point of contact for complex cases including those that have progressed to an Employment Tribunal or Civil Service Appeal Board
• Co-ordinating Employment Tribunal claims for the organisation and where required, providing representation for the organisation at Employment Tribunal Hearings
• Identifying people issues and working with business areas and HR Business Partners on effective solutions
• Co-ordinating and managing relevant TUPE activity across the organisation
• Providing expert advice to transactional HR colleagues to interpret policy correctly
• Effectively using the electronic case management system to log and progress all casework
• Feeding insights and observations to senior managers and business partners so they are able to influence strategic organisational change
• Continually looking to improve the service provided by Employment Relations and the processes by which Employment Relations operate
• Participating in wider HR projects and activity across People & Business Services where required
• Understanding of current employment and data protection legislation and its practical application
• Awareness of future developments to employment legislation and professional developments in relation to people management good practice.
• Experience of working within a complex and diverse Human Resources environment
• Excellent stakeholder management skills with a track record of positively engaging with a range of stakeholders to deliver successful outcomes, accepting challenge but standing ground where necessary
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to articulate messages with impact to a wide and varied audience using digital and presentation skills.
• Keen evaluation and problem-solving skills with the ability to identify options and communicate risk
• Ability to work collaboratively to set priorities, goals, objectives and timescales in line with demanding deadlines
A CIPD Level 5 qualification and holding a valid associate CIPD membership are essential for this role. Equivalent qualification or experience will not be accepted.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
Whether you are hearing about us for the first time or already know a bit about our organisation, we hope that the benefits pack attached (bottom of page) will give you a great insight into the benefits and facilities available to our employees, and our fantastic working culture.
We are an organisation that takes the well-being of its employees seriously and lives and breathes the desire to modernise the workplace of the future. Everyone, from our office-based staff in Newport, London and Titchfield, to our field interviewers and airports and ports passenger survey staff, are part of a diverse and inclusive family.
Inclusion & Accessibility
At ONS we're always looking to attract the very best people from the widest possible talent pool, and we are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunities employer. As a member of the Business Disability Forum and a Disability Confident Leader we’re committed to ensuring that all candidates are treated fairly throughout the recruitment process.
As part of our application process, you will be prompted to provide details of any reasonable adjustments to our recruitment process that you need. If you would like to discuss any reasonable adjustments before applying, please contact the recruitment team in the first instance.
If you would like an accessible version of any of the attachments or recruitment documents below or linked to in this advert, please contact the recruitment team who will be happy to assist.