Nexus and its subsidiary Metro Services are a vital part of everyday life for people living and working within Tyne and Wear. There 36 million Metro passenger journeys each year and another 30 million passengers walking through our bus stations and interchanges annually. We make sure our customers are at the heart of everything we do and we employ nearly 1,100 employees to ensure they all have a great experience, no matter where their final destination.
The role – Engineer (Civils & Structures)
We are looking to appoint a Civil/Structural Engineer within the Nexus Rail Engineering Department in our offices in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Working with the Principal Engineer (Civils and Structures) your role will comprise a variety of responsibilities involved with managing an asset portfolio including Bridges, Stations, Embankments and Retaining walls, including:.
- Providing technical advice to maintenance staff, project managers and stakeholders.
- Developing and maintaining renewal and repair specifications.
- Playing a key role in managing external consultants.
You will also work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to deliver improvements to the Metro System, such as:
- Bridge replacements and station improvements.
- Delivery of a new train fleet and associated depot facilities.
- Improvements to ferry infrastructure.
The successful candidate will be degree qualified or equivalent in a relevant subject and be either a Chartered or Incorporated engineer or working towards either status.
It is preferable that you have experience in structural design and/or inspection and assessment and demonstrable engineering experience working in the civil/ structural engineering industry. You should have worked on projects from conception to completion and also have experience of managing designs.
The role requires involvement on a variety of projects and you should therefore be able to show your awareness of all Civil and Structural disciplines and their interaction with other asset types. As part of the Engineering team you need to be a team player and good communicator to both technical and non-technical staff, both internal and external.
Experience in the railway industry would be desirable, but is not essential.
How to apply
Download an information pack from nexus.org.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Selection Process
Candidates will be required to complete an application form demonstrating how they meet the requirements of the role.
Closing date for application is 19thOctober 2018 – please return completed application forms to email@example.com
As part of the selection process, we may ask you to complete relevant and appropriate assessments. If offered a position with Nexus, we will provide a conditional offer subject topassing a satisfactory medical assessment by a Nexus specified Medical Officer, satisfactory references and evidence of relevant qualifications.
What can Nexus offer you?
- A competitive salary for the position, ranging between £34,182 - £51,272per annum
- 27 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 36 hours per week and the opportunity to work on a flexi basis, within the demands of business need.
- A suite of work life balance policies and access to Childcare vouchers and other salary sacrifice options
- You will be automatically enrolled into the Local Government Pension Scheme (L.G.P.S.) Contributions are 6.8/8.5% (dependant on salary) of Gross Pay. Employer’s contribution is currently 16.2%.
- Free travel within Tyne and Wear on Metro, Buses and the South Shields Ferry.
- Access to an Employee Assistance Programme and a healthcare scheme for you and your family.
Nexus work within a suite of policies, which will be available to you when successful in a position.
Our Drug & Alcohol Policy
Nexus aims to provide a safe and secure service for its passengers and a safe and secure environment for employees and others who may be affected, and therefore expects employees to take a responsible approach on the consumption of alcohol and the avoidance of substance misuse. Since alcohol/substance misuse consumed/taken in any quantity adversely affects work performance and can seriously impair performance, all employees must ensure that any alcohol/drug either medically prescribed or otherwise does not interfere with their work duties.