About the job
the UK Shipping Registry.
The Coastguard are the only UK-wide emergency service, and this service is delivered by the Coastguard through coordination of a unique combination of public sector employees, volunteers, charities (eg RNLI) and private sector contracts.
With 1,200 employees, 3,500 volunteers and a £250mpa search and rescue helicopter contract, it is a highly diverse organisation. The MCA is going through substantial change so that it can both better deliver its mission and so that it can support the UK in taking a lead role in decarbonisation and shipping automation.
As a key member of the Executive Team, you will provide strategic and financial guidance to the Executive Team, to the Board and to the Chief Executive. You will be a key part of the team with operational accountability for the organisation and which works with the non-executive directors on the strategy of the organisation and your input will be fundamental to developing that strategy.
You will ensure the highest quality of management accounting for the organisation, developing and leading a business partner function in the MCA that works alongside individual Executive Directors helping them to shape, manage and deliver results through their teams whilst maintaining the highest financial probity, robust forecasting and demonstrably increasing value for money.
You will be the primary point of interface with the DfT finance team. You will ensure that the MCA is always clear about the financial parameters within which DfT expects it to operate and that DfT always has the clearest possible picture of the current and projected financial performance of the agency.
You will find improved ways in which the finance team can operate, making maximum use of new accounting systems that DfT intend to introduce in the next 3 years. You will lead the MCA input to the specification of these systems.
The MCA has several audit processes. You will take responsibility for these, ensuring that the total audit coverage in the MCA is effective in early identification of issues and that the various processes are coherent and straightforward.
You will be responsible for the delivery of all financial reporting and risk management processes, with budgetary responsibility of c.£350 million. You will lead and support a team of circa 45 to ensure effective resource capability to support the delivery of our strategy.
Responsibilities• Play an active part as a member of the Executive Team, leading the organisation and undertaking corporate duties and demonstrating, as an Executive Team member the highest standard of leadership inside and outside the Executive Team meetings.
• Provide effective and inspiring leadership of the Finance function within MCA. Fostering a high performing culture based on excellence and continuous improvement through effective performance management, communication, colleague engagement and the development of staff.
• Develop a Finance function that is seen by the MCA as helping the organisation to do business as well as ensuring that it spends money wisely and with probity.
• Support MCA in making effective decisions and applying corporate governance, promoting and ensuring compliance with corporate and government standards and
• As an attendee of Board, fulfil any responsibilities assigned as a Committee executive lead to ensure that the relevant Chair receives the information required to facilitate meetings and make decisions on behalf of the Board.
• Provide Executive leadership for the MCA Audit and Risk Committee, working closely with its non-executive chair to set its forward agenda, ensure the right quality of material and take a key role in its discussions.
• Ensure management accounting processes that meet the needs of managers, supported by a highly effective network of Business Partners who work alongside their areas of the business – both operationally, but also strategically.
• Ensure MCA complies with and maintains appropriate policies that support MCA and DfT financial control frameworks.
• Develop financial KPIs at corporate and directorate levels.
• Ensure there is accurate and timely actual and forecast financial and management information developed and reported within the Business, including to Board,the senior management team, Directorate management teams, and project boards.
• Undertake analysis of management information to drive business insight and intelligence that enhances decision making,identifies risks and issues, and supports robust financial and demand forecasting
• Lead the annual budget process, ensuring credible budgets are developed that withstand scrutiny by the Executive and the Board.
• Financial management reporting of MCA project portfolio and investment in change, providing advice to Senior Responsible Owners (SRO) and Project Sponsors.