About the job
Key responsibilities include:
• Managing the financial position of the JFC Equipment Programme in conjunction with the wider finance team, the Heads of Capability and finance and project staffs in the DE&S and ISS;
• Managing the financial position of the JFC operating cost budget in conjunction with the wider finance team, budget holders and their finance staff;
• Managing the production of JFC’s monthly return to MOD, including the forecast of outturn, variance narratives, and risk and fade information;
• Reviewing the operating cost budget and equipment and infrastructure programmes on a quarterly basis to ensure the 10-year plan is taut and realistic;
• Providing financial and programming advice to the Heads of Capability and their staff;
• Reviewing business cases prior to their presentation to the JFC or MOD Investment Approvals Committee to ensure affordability and coherence with the wider JFC programme;
• Managing JFC’s Supplementary and Main Estimate returns in line with HMT guidance;
• Providing support on Financial Accounting and technical and systems issues.
These posts also come with the opportunity for line management.
The roles report to the Team Leaders for In-Year Management, Planning and Equipment Capability Programming.
What we are looking for
The successful candidates should possess drive, strong inter-personal skills, the ability to build positive and productive relationships and be willing to embrace change and a culture of continuous improvement and efficiency delivery. Strong advocates of leadership at all levels, the successful candidates will act as role models in leadership across Joint Force Command, measured by the Civil Service Leadership principles of:
• Inspiring about our work and its future
• Confident in our engagement
• Empowering our teams to deliver
Specific experience and achievements should include:
• Effective communication skills, both written and oral;
• Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise effectively in a fast-paced environment;
Skills, knowledge and personal attributes:
• Experience of Government finance is desirable but not essential.
• Financial literacy, experience of financial systems and strong Excel skills as the efficient manipulation of significant amounts of data is necessary in all posts; and
• A professional financial qualification is desirable but not essential.
Please take time to read the attached Candidate pack for further information about this role and the recruitment process.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing and Improving
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
- Making Effective Decisions