UK Space Agency is an executive agency of Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy.
The UK Space Agency’s finance team has an exciting opportunity for an experienced financial accountant to meet the requirements of the growing Agency and UK Space industry.
We are a diverse organisation, with the UKSA finance team working at the heart of the organisation, supporting senior leadership by enabling decision making and safeguarding public funds.
Flexible working, a comprehensive study package, accounting allowances for part/qualified, generous annual leave package and attractive benefits defined Civil Service Pension Scheme available.
The post holder will work collaboratively to provide financial assurance and support across the Agency, sitting in the Financial Accounts team.
The Financial Accountant role will work with the team to ensure that financial records are accurate, aligned to current accounting principles and assist with the production of the annual report and accounts detailing the Agency’s annual expenditure of £450m (2019/20). Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Reporting to the Head of Finance, lead on the delivery of interim and year end Annual Accounts (financial year April – March) and accompanying disclosure notes to the financial statements.
• Keep up to date with the developments in accounting standards, advising on correct accounting treatments and implementing new accounting standards.
• Prepare monthly accounts packs for review liaising with the management accountants team to ensure the integrity of accounts (including oversight of corrective journals where required).
• A lead contact for external auditors, managing daily liaison during audit site visits in March and May.
• The main point of contact for BEIS Group accounts consolidation in January and April/May ensuring Agency’s financial position is reported accurately on the departmental reporting tool (Enterprise Performance Management), including leading on the intra group transaction eliminations
• Working with the Head of Finance, draft the annual Governance Statement ensuring sufficient supporting evidence is collated during the year
• Reporting to the Head of Finance, lead on the development of Assurance Map for finance led activities, including drafting and maintaining Agency’s financial policies and using an array of assurance techniques to test the effectiveness and compliance of internal controls.
• Lead on the continuous improvement and best practice on financial management within the Agency, with specific reference to governance and management of fraud controls
• Assist the Head of Finance with the implementation of internal audit recommendations and report on progress made against agreed actions.
• Line management responsibility
• Significant experience of working in a finance team.
• Highly numerate individual with strong analytical skills
• Good knowledge of Excel
• Excellent written skills and an ability to explain complex financial information to non-finance audience
• Ability to communicate across all levels
• Strong negotiation and influencing skills to influence senior management as well as senior programme leads or technical experts
• Ability to work on own initiative and under pressure with competing demands to tight deadlines
• Ability to work proactively to anticipate issues and develop options/solutions in order to prevent escalation
• Proven interpersonal skills with an ability to work within own team as well as with colleagues in other parts of the organisation
• Willingness to learn and provide support within the wider finance team
• CCAB qualified / part qualified
• Demonstrable experience of using management information to support and improve overall operational delivery
• Experience/knowledge of Oracle financial system, Purchasing Module and General Ledger Module or advanced knowledge of other accounting systems
• Experience of working within a central government department
• Previous experience of line management responsibilities
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing