About the job
The Investigations Directorate provides a flexible, shared operational capability, designed to maximise the impact of the UK's collective resources against serious and organised crime, and in specialist support of major crime. Our teams respond to a broad range of threats, many of which also remain a responsibility for police forces and other agencies as well as private industry.
Our teams lead investigations across the Serious and Organised Crime landscape for example; Organised Immigration Crime, Illicit Finance, Modern Day Slavery and Human Trafficking, Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation, internal Professional Standards, Economic Crime, Firearms, Drugs including County Lines, Anti-Kidnap and Extortion, Professional enablers and Money Laundering. The teams provide a national service of specialist investigative skills and expertise to support major crime investigations conducted by police forces, such as abduction, serial sexual crime and no body murder.
The role requires SC security clearance prior to commencing the role. This role requires officers to obtain DV Enhanced within 12 months of entry. If DV Enhanced cannot be obtained the officer will be required to move to a non-DV role.
Responsibilities• Manage and lead the Firearms Enabling Team, task and prioritise activity to enable the unit to perform as a centre of national and international best practice.
• Manage the production, review and development of NCA’s UK Firearms Strategic Threat and Risk Assessment (STRA) and assist with the International Firearms Strategic Threat and Risk Assessment (ISTRA).
• Manage the development of policies and operating procedures to support the deployment of firearms in the UK and overseas.
• Help identify and implement new options, policy and considerations to improve effectiveness. Promote effective partnerships that develop the unit’s organisational objectives and ensure maintenance of communication.
• Manage the development of TTL policies and operating procedures to ensure that appropriate standards are maintained.
• Assist in the development and maintenance of a robust system of policy, compliance and procedure to support the Agency’s harm reduction activity in relation to Threat to Life threats including systems to document and record departmental and organisational risk and monitor TTL.
• Provide advice on legislation, policy and tactical options to assist in the planning and implementation of Firearms Deployments, Threat to Life investigations and Operations.
• Provide advice and representation to agencies, partners and colleagues to support Agency objectives in respect of Threat to Life and related matters.
• Develop training around Risk Assessments and managing Threat to Life. Improve awareness of capability internally and externally. Develop capacity around fast time response to Threat to Life.
• Develop and maintain strong working relationships with partner agencies in respect of armed operations and Threat to Life.
***All NCA officers must hold SC Enhanced upon entry as a minimum. To meet the National Security Vetting requirements for this role you will need to have resided in the UK for a minimum of 3 out of the past 5 years. For more information please see the Candidate information Pack***
• Professionalising Investigations Programme (PIP) 1 or Professionalising Investigations Programme (PIP) 2 or equivalent government issued qualification.
Please ensure the dates of any accreditations you are relying on, are entered on to the CV.
Should you progress to the assessment stage of the process, you will be required to provide a copy of the original certificate.
Failure to provide evidence at interview may result in your application not progressing to the next stage.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Thorough understanding of covert legislation used by UK Law Enforcement.
- Experience of Authorised Professional Practice - Firearms.
- Experience in risk management.
- Experience in effective operational decision making with accountability for decisions made.