Intelligence Directorate works collaboratively with NCA investigations Directorate and partners to deliver a unified crime fighting response.
The role requires a detailed understanding of law enforcement’s response to serious and organised crime. You will need the ability to deliver at pace in order to place HUMINT intelligence and evidence at the heart of NCA delivery.
You may be expected to work directly or indirectly in tackling child sexual exploitation and abuse. This may involve exposure to child sexual abuse material. You should consider the sensitive nature of the work before deciding to apply.
All officers working on or supporting this type of operational activity will undergo a psychological assessment on taking up the role and at regular intervals once in post.
By applying for this role you are confirming that you are willing to work on child sexual exploitation and abuse operations
To be considered, you will need to successfully complete SC clearance before commencing the role and DV STRAP clearance within the first 12 months as part of your probation period.
You may also be required to undertake a mandatory pre-employment substance misuse test and achieve a satisfactory result.
The primary responsibilities are:
• To manage and control all activities of a HUMINT collection team conducting source handling operations aimed at obtaining information, intelligence or evidence in support of Agency activity against complex, serious and organised crime at national and international levels.
• Oversee, plan, manage and co-ordinate the source recruitment and handling operations of a HUMINT Collection Team, and Agency Liaison Officers where appropriate, in accordance with Agency requirements as directed by Head of HUMINT, relevant UK (and where appropriate foreign national) legislation, authorities, agreements/permissions and Agency policies and procedures.
• Undertake Controller duties in accordance with legislation and Agency policy.
• Set and monitor operational performance and ensure that all operations have control ,measures in place including contingency plans and current risk assessments which conform to legislation and NCA policies and procedures.
• Manage the security and accuracy of intelligence, maintaining confidentiality, sensitivities and duty of care.
• Maintain an in-depth knowledge of relevant legislation appropriate to the role performed to ensure integrity of activity.
• Develop and maintain appropriate systems to secure the welfare, safety and protection of Officers involved in the Handling Of Covert Human Intelligence Sources.
• Build effective internal and external relationships with key partners to encourage collaborative working with stakeholders to achieve operational objectives.
• Manage issues relating to the performance and conduct of officers in line with Agency values/policy.
• Coach, mentor and provide guidance to develop staff.
• Manage the effective use of finance and other resources regularly, monitoring activities to ensure that resources are used in line with SOPs, Agency priorities and best value.
To be considered, you will need to be able to successfully complete SC clearance and DV clearance will be expected at a later date.
• Trained CHIS Controller at Enhanced Level (former National Level 4) or other agency equivalent.
• Ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the management of covert investigation techniques specifically the CHIS.
• Successful completion of CHIS Management Course.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
Experience of the supervision and management of Covert Human Intelligence Sources to support serious organised crime investigations in the UK and overseas.
Experience of the supervision and management of handling staff engaged in CHIS operations.
Operational risk management in support of business delivery.
• Proven experience of leading, managing and supervising operational planning and effective resource/budget management within a HUMINT environment.