About the job
Do you have the passion to work in this data science environment? If so, this is an exciting opportunity to work at the heart of Data Science in the public sector and join the experienced teams of Data Scientists and contribute towards the projects they are working on.
We are seeking talented individuals to harness the data generated by this digital revolution. You will play a part in shaping the future direction of data science in Government.
The Data Science Graduate programme will provide you with highly valuable work experience and develop your knowledge, skills and behaviours through our structured 2 year learning pathway. During the programme you will undertake 4 six month placements, these placements could be based at our offices in Newport, Titchfield or London. The placements will enable you to work with our lead Data Scientists and their project teams on real problems and projects. that will ensure you become a fully operational data scientist.
We are recruiting for a number of positions, to be based at our Newport offices and a limited number of positions in London starting with us in September 2019.
As a Data Scientist you will:
• Deliver insight from data using statistical and data science techniques, applying your skills in coding, mathematics and statistics.
• Help government understand and tackle some of the key challenges facing society on topics such as the economy, health, urban future and the UK in a global context.
• Access appropriate and analyse data sources required for the project.
• Support the creation of innovative data products and services and be able to tell a compelling evidence based narrative of the project.
About the Office for National Statistics:
We are the UK's largest producer of official statistics in the UK. We are also the only government department with the production of statistics as its main role. Never has there been a more exciting time to join the Office for National Statistics. Our “Better Statistics, Better Decisions” strategy is driving a transformational change throughout the organisation and the Office has already taken huge strides forward to becoming a modern, technically focused, data driven organisation.
About the Data Science Campus:
Based at the Office for National Statistics (ONS) headquarters, the Data Science Campus is a new, purpose built centre for excellence that is playing a key role in developing the UK’s international presence and reputation in leading the data science agenda, and developing cutting-edge statistics and analytical techniques. As well as supporting ONS to apply new techniques to understand the UK’s economy and society, the campus is a hub for government to gain practical advantage from the wider investment in data science research.
To find out more about the Data Science Campus and our projects, please visit https://datasciencecampus.ons.gov.uk/ or follow us on Twitter @DataSciCampus#
Skills & Experience
We are looking for candidates with existing knowledge and experience of some or all of the following data science techniques:
• Data analytics – such as statistical model selection, supervised/un-supervised/deep machine learning, network analysis, and natural language processing (NLP). Confident programming ability (R, Python or other data analysis relevant languages).
• Data Management/curation – such as the manipulation and analysis of datasets held in relational and/or non-relational databases.
• Data/Systems engineering – such as the implementation of algorithms in programming languages (like R or Python), SQL and noSQL database systems, statistical analysis languages and tooling.
• Story telling and data visualisation – including the visualisation of insights drawn from data and building of data driven products.
• Scientific research methods – analytical, independent, critical and curious analysis of data literature reviews.
• Examples of open source projects and contributions or Github profile.
Those with equivalent wider experience are also actively encouraged to apply.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Developing Self and Others
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Technical Questions will be based around Person Specification